Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
derek6119

Allis Chalmer 912 charging system....

derek6119
I have a 1984 Allis Chalmer 912 six speed. Mower runs great but will not hold a charge. I can trickle charge the battery to full charge and it will start 1-2 times and have to be charged again. Anyone have a suggestion on what to check?

RayS

check output of stator voltage regulator. If you would like a copy of the K series repair manual I can send you a copy to your email if you send it in a private message or you can download it yourself at the Kohler website. http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by derek6119
Amp gauge quit working long ago.
I am not 100% sure, but a broken ameter might be your cause of no charge to the battery. Jump wire the ameter terminals and then with a voltmeter see if that gives you a rise in battery voltage with engine running half throttle or so.

MysTiK
I had a battery that was dead as a doornail - sat all winter in an abandoned car. On the net somewhere, I found info on batt charging - and the more difficult realm of battery "sulfation". I trickled charged for a week with a good batt charger w a meter on it. The charge kicks in at a few amps and then quickly settles down to maybe 1 amp or so - low low on the meter. I let it sit for week, make sure fluid level was ok. It worked - it cranked the abandoned beast for 20 minutes and finally started it. It takes time to undo "sulfation". but that's only about batteries.