Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite T 16S / am I nuts?

Noly

Awhile back I was asking about a Homelite T16S that has not ran for about 3 years and has sat outside for several years. Well today I gave the guy $300.00. and he delivered the T16S, 42 inch deck I turned blades by hand and they seem easy and smooth to turn right hand discharge with mule drive no belt from engine thru mule drive to mower deck and discharge cover, 42 inch front blade, and a 36 inch rototiller with belt.one front tire is shot but he gave me a usable tire to put on it. Wife thinks I'm nuts. Pictures unavailable but the Homelite in the grill is along the bottom.no headlights or guards. I am thinking this is an Allis built unit. Tractor serial 32101530 tiller 000447 mdl 1600170 engine 326431 0133 01 7212141 on the engine above the air cleaner there is a small box with a white wire that comes out and attaches to the front of box, and a blue wire that comes out and goes nowhere. markings on box ATOM COMPUTER IGNITION. there is still wires going to the box that houses the points. Previous owner said the plunger that operates the points needs replaced. He also stated that he was told electronic ignition could not be used on this engine. I have no experience with small engine mechanics, so I will need lots of help.want to make sure it runs and functions before I start cleaning and repainting. Thanks for all help. Noly

The attachments, if in working condition, are worth the price you paid... An Allis-made Homelite is easily identified by the front axle, in addition to the grille. A Simplicity-made machine has a straight front axle, while the Allis-made machine looks like this: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/homelite/pg_2-1_small.jpg[/img]

If it helps your wifes opinion, if the tiller is not badly worn, its likely worth what you paid for the whole package.dOd The atom electronic ignition should be one that the polarity can be changed by reversing the wires. Usually a white and a blue wire. I dont have the instructions in front of me for the wiring of it, but you just switch them around from what they say to start with if the polarity isnt right. Keep in mind you have to have a good mag under the shroud for the thing to work. Your engine numbers indicate a 1972, which should be just like the one Kent pictured above, right down to the axle.

However in the above pic, the mule drive is missing. Hopefully there's an electric clutch on the front of the engine to drive the mower deck. The front clutch is required to drive the mower deck (stock setup).

I have three Homelite T-16 H and they are Allis Chalmers made. Ywo of them have the same front axel and one is different. The mule drives are different from my original T-16H. No clue as to why but they are like that.I've tried to post pics but I can't get them to p;ost. Now we sold these back in the 70s and all that I saw were the same in regards to axels and mule drives etc.. When I purchased the other two that is when I found the difference in the front axels. The tiller is worht the money. Don't know about the ignition. I know they are a great tractor. I've been using my dad's for about 17 yrs now. We are going to restore it in the near future. Before I had it my dad and brothers used it a lot to mow and move dirt. It was one my dad bought when we sold them.