Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity tiller woes

i think i have a simplicity tractor only serial number i could find was 3012 -does this mean anything to any one? i have the briggs and stratton engine details but no other info on the tractor anyway my problem is the rear tiller spins very slowly and when it makes contact with the soil it stops completly - it never used to do this before i gave the old girl an overhaul so have i put something back together wrong? help please

Check first for slipping belts, sheared or missing Keys, and missing pins in all the pulleys, tine connections etc.

Not knowing what you did for an overhaul leaves it pretty open to a wild guess, but I'd say check for forgotten keys in PTO pulley or any pulley heading to the tiller. Not to hard to forget one as your almost completed by that point and may be hurring-up a bit. MPH

Your tractor is probably a Sovereign 3012 from 1969. This had a briggs and Stratton 12 hp on it. The engine model numbers are stamped into the flywheel shroud on the left side of tractor near carburator. I thought mine were missing until I used a little oil and sandpaper and found them.[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/1969_spotlight/sovereign_3012.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/1969_spotlight/sovereign_3012.htm[/a]

Darren, Did you ever get it working correctly? Let us know your current status with it... Kent

• 2 weeks later...
got her running - after much work and pulling things apart etc. the old girl is now going - the problem was two fold - the idler pulley was in the wrong position and the guide assembly rod was bent so thanks to one and all for your help and advice.