Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Sunstar wiring change questions

SmilinSam
Putting a K321 in place of the M14, thus going from magneto ignition to battery ignition on a Sunstar. My questions revolve around the interlock module in the wiring system. What is on my mind is to install a Battery ignition keyswitch with tabs for Start Rectifier Ignition Accesory Battery Since the original switch to the sunstar had a position to turn the lights on with the key, I am pulling the lights off and wiring them up with a switch in the dash and pulling power off the accesory tab for them. Probably wont be a problem there, unless anyone can think of one The original switch had the mag wire along with another related ignition kill circuit on the G tab, grounding the ignition in the off position. I dont need this on the battery ignition engine. I plan on just taping the terminal off after removiing it from the keswitch connector. The thing that concerns me here is will there be problems with the system given these run back through the interlock module? I dont have a low oil shutdown, and wont be using the seat safety , both of which are on this circuit. I just dont know if not having this circuit hooked up will bother the interlock module and the operation of the rest of the harness.?. Other than that, the same wires for the R and B tabs will hook up to the R & B tabs on my battery ignition switch. I'll run a new line off the I tab to the coil. Anyone forsee any problems? If the interlock module is going to give me fits, I also have a contingency plan to just gut the whole harness and wire the tractor up without it from scratch.

Brettw
Sam: After just getting done screwin' around with mine, I know that the start circuit runs through the electric clutch circuit and switch. Does this tractor have the electric clutch? If it is wired the same this comes into play also. I know the wiring diagram is still available. Bob also sent me a schematic.

SmilinSam
I have the wiring diagrams. I havnt altered the start circuit. It is the same from one keyswitch to the other. The safetys for the pto and hydro lever are on that one. Seat safety is on this one too I guess looking at it again. This circuit shouldnt be a problem The shutdown circuit is the one I am taping off. It has the low oil safety and is on the "M" tab not the G tab as I mentioned in error above. Just not sure what exactly the interlock module does inside itself as to whether the changes I propose to make will be a problem. It will be another week or two before I get to the point of getting the engine in it and being able to throw a battery in to try the changes.