Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jsarro

Tires for tractors?

jsarro
What uses are barb and turf tires best for? Will barb tires tear up the grass if the machine is a mower? Where are the best places to buy tires? Is TSC a good local place? What is the relative price ranges for tires on a tractor my size? How do you determine what size options will work on your machine? Thank you for your participation. Any input would be appreciated!:D:D:D

RickS
Jack, I have used both turf and AG tires on my lawn. I found traction with the AG tires to be great. With turf tires many times I would spin and burn the grass; the Ag tires would not spin in the same areas. I did not find the AG tires to mark the lawn in any way. The one downside is if the AG tires spin they will dig a hole very quickly. Even with that concern I prefer the AG tires over turf tires. If you spend a lot of time on pavement (plowing or blowing snow for example) you will find the AG tires run rougher. If you put chains on the AG tires, the chains must be two link otherwise the cross chains will settle inbetween the lugs and not do you much good. Rick.......

huffy
I'm no expert but here's the little bit that I've learned in the short time I've been toying with tractors. Turf tires are designed for use on grass so they won't tear the lawn up; though I've run both turfs with chains and AG's on my grass with no ill effects so long as I don't spin the tires or do something else crazy. AG tires work better in dirt, such as for plowing, etc. Some people also use them in snow, but I think their effectiveness in snow depends greatly on the type of snow you get in your area. I tried them on my tractor, and they were utterly worthless. Being right on the Bay, we get a lot of lake effect snow. It's damp and heavy, and packs up between the lugs and limits their effectiveness. The snow doesn't tend to pack and stick with the chains as easily. The AG's might do better in a dryer, more powder type snow, but I've never tried it. Also, the chains seem to do a better job of helping to keep the tractor from sliding sideways, imo. I won't buy tires (or much of anything else) at TSC. I order them from either Miller Tire or Greater Cleveland Tire, and sometimes eBay. Price depends on what type of tire you're ordering and who manufactures it. Take for example a 23x8.50-12 AG tire. Though several manufacturers produce tires labelled this size, they're not all created equal: some are smaller because of differences in molds, metric-inch conversions, etc; some have more desireable tread patterns; some have a higher rubber content, etc, etc, etc. Miller Tire carries Carlisles, which some consider the best because it's got the best tread pattern, is noticably bigger than the same sized tire you get from other manufacturers, etc. But, they cost nearly $100 each the last time I checked. Greater Cleveland carries Deestones, which are smaller but still a decent tire. The last time I checked $100 would buy you two of them. (imo, when you buy from TSC you're essentially getting the equivalent of a Deestone but paying the Carlisle price). Determining size options depends on a few variables. If you've got 12 inch diameter rims, you're limited to tires that will fit that diameter rim unless you buy bigger rims. The size of the rim you have also determines the width of the tire you can get. For instance, if you've got a 7 inch wide rim, 8.50 wide tires fit pretty good but some wider tires might fit it. As for overall diameter of the tire, you're restrictions come from what will fit in your fender wells and what you can put on without it hitting the mowing deck.

jsarro
quote:
Originally posted by RickS
Jack, I have used both turf and AG tires on my lawn. I found traction with the AG tires to be great. With turf tires many times I would spin and burn the grass; the Ag tires would not spin in the same areas.
Thanks for the info, I have yet to begin cutting grass to test my turf tires out. I will also be clearing snow with these tires and chains.

jsarro
quote:
Originally posted by huffy
I'm no expert but here's the little bit that I've learned in the short time I've been toying with tractors.
That is good insight. If I need to buy some new tires that gives me perspective on price and where to buy. Thank you