Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pictures

hamman

Follow the tutorials at the top of the forums. Picture files must be smaller than 100k in size. Also, a 640x480 size is best. Edit out special characters in the file name before you upload them to the site. Do not "X" out of the window after you successfully load up a photo, use the "Close window" link. I downloaded "Pixresizer". You can resize a photo at a time, or an entire folder. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50916

That is what I am trying to get posted are the Homelites. Thanks guys I will see if I can make this work. I tried Photo bucket but it woun't work eother. Roger

I use **Paint Shop Pro 6. Note spaces (blanks) are considered special characters in file-names. Use the "_" underscore character in place of the space. EG My sweet Tractor.jpg should be renamed My_sweet_Tractor.jpg ^ **with this you can re size by pixels, physical measurements, and by overall resolution. You also have the capabilities to adjust brightness and contrast.If I ever get back to connecting my computer to the DVR, I'll do a YouTube Tutorial. Wayne

goto www.irfanview.com download latest version - FREE It's small app, opens right now, does instant resize, or batch resize, rename, edits, screenshots, sharpen, bright/contrast/gamma/color adjusts, slideshows, Zoom. movies, plugins, grafx unusual filetypes that Windows can't read, Sharpen unclear pix, etc etc etc all kinds of stuff. For resize, it has check box for instant 640x480, etc. OR you can specify one dimension and it fills in the other - IF you check the box to "Preserve Aspect Ratio" - this means the pix will be exactly same as original. too easy. e.g. you might want 512x384 resolution, or even smaller to make a pix FIT the 100 KB limit. The only hard part is finding the menu command, cos there's a lot of them, cos it does a lot of stuff. I have used it for years. I think of it as a mini-photoshop without "layering". Copy your pix to a new folder before editing - if you mess up, you still have the originals. try again. If you are like me and collect a million tractor pix, you can rename them in groups you like, using Batch Rename function. lots of options on this, it's a little trickier. This proggy was designed by some graphics guru - you can tell when using it. If people post pix or ADs, like craigslist, you can copy and FullScreen ZOOM to see what the paint really looks like, etc. Quick and dirty, right now, no fuss. FREE sm01 Help file included. EDIT - also handy for forum discussions, when you need to make a pix of a pdf manual - hilite, copy, paste, save, and post.

Not being to computer literate I am going to have to have my son lok at this for me. I swear I will get these pictures posted yet.

I use GIMP 2.6. It has a lot of features and is free. For web forum posting I take the pictures with my cell phone camera at 640x480, but often they are still too large. With GIMP, you can adjust the quality of the saved JPEG file, and still keep it the desired size. Even at 640x480, I often have to reduce the quality to get under the 100 KB limit.

HI, I use Photoshop 5 and Photoshop Elements. I save my photos in high resolution and then rename the file the same name and add red for reduced and then save them in the low resolution mode. Then I have a photo I can do anything with and an e-mail quality photo quality photo also. Al Eden

Easiest way is just have your secretary do it. :) I tried to post a diagram from the Large Frame Repair Manual a week or so ago. Even after TalntedMrGreen e-mailed me detailed instructions I still couldn't figure it out. Had to have my 7 year old nephew do it for me. Umbarassing.

Not trying to be critical here and I am not computer literate but why is posting a photo on craigs list and e bay so simple. After continuing to see this topic here quite often I have never attempted to post a photo or try to sell an item on the site.I assume there must be an expensive software package necessary to make posting a photo easy here on Simple Tractors. Just curious, there must be someone out there with the answer. Thanks

Maybe this will help. My understanding is that the photos you have on your computer are sized according to the camera you use and its software. If you "browse" to insert one of them on this website, it will be too big. The camera companies WANT their pictures to be big, so that all the details show well, and so that they can be manipulated in different ways. Our tractor club can't afford to enable us to have these huge pictures: they'd take longer to download, and/or they'd have to buy new servers, or pay more for the bandwidth. It's not going to happen without major revamping. Not very likely. To get around this problem, you should be able to go to your photo library (I have Mac, so I use iphoto, for example ). There should be a function there for exporting the photos to other formats, such as .jpeg . You need to export the photos you want to use on this site into a new folder - perhaps on your desktop. Call it "Mytractorpix", or whatever. When you export the photos you have to tell the computer what size they should be. 640x480 pixels is what the directions call for, though as mentioned above, you may have to make them even smaller (600x400?) to keep under the 100k limit. After you've exported a properly sized photo to your new file, you should be able to insert it into one of your postings by using the "browse" function when you make a post insertion. If it doesn't work at first, try re-sizing your exported photo to make it smaller. Hope this clarifies the issue somewhat.

quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie_A
Not trying to be critical here and I am not computer literate but why is posting a photo on craigs list and e bay so simple. After continuing to see this topic here quite often I have never attempted to post a photo or try to sell an item on the site.I assume there must be an expensive software package necessary to make posting a photo easy here on Simple Tractors. Just curious, there must be someone out there with the answer. Thanks
Vinnie, There are two reasons to restrict the size of pictures here, one dealing with the display size and the other dealing with file size. 1. Display size -- People are using many different screen resolutions to view the site, from high-end desktops/laptops down to smart phones. Really large photos force you to scroll to see them, and they distort the whole page, not just the photo, forcing you to scroll to also read what's been posted... 2. File size -- In the last few years, the file sizes for digital photos has increased astromically, as the manufacturers make higher-resolution cameras, including those in cell phones. Instead of 1 megapixel or less in cameras, they're now at 15-20 megapixel and larger, while many new phones are 3-5 megapixel and larger. This has driven the file sizes for the pictures up in the same proportion. Now consider that eBay and CraigsList only stores the photos temporarily, for a few days, while we try to save them "forever" -- there's photos here that are well over 12 years old. So, the amount of hard drive space on the server required to store these photos keeps growing and growing. We (the club) has been at the point for the last 2-3 years that we have to pay additional costs each month for the extra hard drive space to store all the pictures that have accumulated. Each 50MB of server space above our base amount costs $5 additional per month. With the high resolution cameras available today, that could equate to paying $5 a month to store 15-20 pictures that come straight out of the camera. So, the "compromise" solution is to restrict the picture sizes to a display size that will display nicely, and to a file size that will allow that display size to work well. That's why we have the 100kb file size limit... With all that said, I am (and have been) looking for ways to make all these things easier for you guys to do... Hope this explanation helps explain why things are the way they are...

Just adding to Kent's post... The actual size, with high megapixel cameras, in real life, not what you see onscreen, altho sometimes you might notice that only a small corner of your pix is displayed onscreen - the actual size could be something like 5+ feet wide and 3+ feet tall - too bad we don't have a printer that "fat", so we could decorate our homes with tractors.:D Portraits!!!! I suggest IrfanView cos it does all this small time grafx stuff with a tiny app. I have great respect for much LARGER apps like photoshop, gimp, etc. but it's like killing an ant with a bomb. Resize is o so simple. IrfanView used to be a 3 meg app; it's now up to 5 megs installed on a pc. It just does a ton of simple stuff. If you want serious control over the grafx elements that commercial grafx gurus get into, then go photoshop - but that's huge hi tek software that isn't really required - unless you are a pro doing pro work for a living - that's what they are designed to handle. I have Photoshop 7 and never use it. No need when I use a tiny app to do anything I need on a forum. There are other apps; I am just sharing a simple solution for resize and an awful lot more. Your choice - there are many of them. (I guess). I just can't deal with excess learning curves; and it not necessary to go there just to shrink a pix to whatever tiny resolution. p.s. I don't think IrfanView will work for Mac, not sure. But there are tons of free apps out there. I've just used mine for years. EDIT = from the site "IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003." No mention of win7. (yet) No mention of MAC.

Use Paint...Free on all windows based computers. Open paint: File-Open-YourPhoto Change picture Size: Image-Stretch and Skew In the stretch Attributes change the percentage to 50% for both Horizontal and Vertical Voila! Your picture is now half its original size. Click File-Save to make the change permanent. With my camera I find that if I reduce the images to 15% it is just about right. Hope that helps, DAve