Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dav

ring end gap

dav
i'm rebuilding the spare model 19 B&S for my 1961 B-1. it was mostly complete and turned freely. the rings were well worn so i picked up a set of NOS standard rings. i have run a hone thru the cylinder, doing just enough to clean it up, not wanting to go to oversize. there was no noticable ridge. i am ready to check the end gap of the rings. i will put the top ring in the bore to check it. my question is how far down the bore should i put the ring? at the top of stroke position? middle of travel? what is acceptable end gap? and how much clearance should there be between the piston and the cylinder wall? last question; will freezing valve guides shrink them enough to allow pushing them into the block easily?

huffy
There's a link to the Briggs Service & Repair manual at the top of the forum. It will have the specs for the gap on your engine, and will tell you how far down to push before measuring. All the books I've read state to push the ring down near the bottom of the cylinder before measuring, but I'm a greenhorn small engine mechanic so double check that in the Briggs book. :D

huffy
The page in the Briggs book I referred him to says to measure them 1" down in the cylinder. Two other books that I have both say to measure the gap near the bottom of the cylinder since the cylinder may be narrower there and thus checking gap at the top might cause the rings to break when the piston is pushed down into the narrower bottom.