Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BAP

Flywheel Help

BAP
I was taking the flywheel off from my 16hp Briggs and Stratton model 326437 so I could send it in to be repolarized for the solid state ignition. I accidentally dropped it and broke off a piece of one of the fins about 1inch by 1 inch. Should I replace the flywheel? If so, does anybody have a used one? Thanks for the help. sm02

steve-wis
I don't think that the one piece missing will hurt you alot. The balance will be off a bit but not much, and the cooling action will be ok. Balance would be the issue. You could also have the flywheel rebalanced. Of course, this is jmho.:D Steve

powerking_one
If it is a fairly straight line break, what I have done before is use a Dremel tool with a cutoff disk to remove the 180 degree/opposite fin. This pretty much assures closeness to the original balance. Tom (PK)

MrSteele
Some may argue with me, but something I have done in the past is to go 180 degrees, or, straight across from the broken fin, and break that one, too. You get closer to balance than leaving one fin missing, and don't lose a lot of cooling.

timflury
Briggs recommends replacement...... However, I'm kinda steering toward the "cut off the opposite fin" theory. I would still find a shop that will balance it for you after you break off another fin.

Willy
I wouldn't worry about,I doubt it make a bit of difference. If it shakes you off the seat them I would think about a replacement.:D OR,if you feel sneeky when you box it up throw the broken piece in the box and insure it.darn Post Office broke my flywheel.:(}:) (then say three hail marys and put 5 buck in the poor box)}:)