Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 620 brakes problem?

jsarro

I am in the process of buying a AC 620 with front end loader. The seller and I have to work out a few minor repairs. One is the brake pedal. I test drove the tractor, and the brakes do not work. I push the pedal in, and it is completely flat. No resistance and no braking. The seller thought it may be pads or some type of adjustment, but did not know for sure. He has always used the hydro to stop. What is the most likely problems to check for? We plan to fix it together a few weeks from now. Thanks for the help!

Common problem on these tractors is the seals on the axle shafts get old and leak into the brakes. You may have something else wrong as well but most of the time it involves removing the drop housing and sliding the rear end out of the frame a couple inches and getting the brakes apart. The carrier inboard of the brakes must come out to replace the oil seals from the inside. Then you can remove the oil from the brake disc's and reassemble. Sounds worse than it is but you need some room and basic tools/jack stands, and so forth to do it safely.

D 17 Dave, So if that is the problem we should be able to see the oil leak from the axle? If we replace those seals, then they should last a long time? Would the above described problem make the pedal so flat when pressed in as if there is nothing there? Do the pads and discs last a long time? Thank you for the response

The brakes on the Powermax series tractors are virtually worthless. The rods connecting the brake actuators to the brake pedals may be disconnected, that is easy enough to check by removing the cover plate in front of the seat. The hydro unit does a very effective job of stopping the tractor. John U

I do agree with the fact of the brakes being poor.I am thinking about fixing on one of my tractors.I really never use the breaks just the hydro.Bob

Far from being a pow max, my 716 first time I tried the brake = nothing. I called the dealer; he said DON'T USE BRAKE, it's bad for the hydro. On my tractor, and I expect powermax is different, the brake is on a combo brake/clutch pedal. Pressing down declutches, and then the brake is just bottom out that same pedal - note that this DISCONNECTS the HYDRO, and so, the hydro stops turning. Now, if tractor is revving at full throttle, if I release the brake/clutch, the hydro goes from full stop to full speed !!! That is why the dealer said - don't use the brake. (like dumping the clutch) (damaging). The only thing to use brake for is parking brake. Also my brake is a single "brake band" - not drum brakes at all, one side only - basically it's just a small parking brake. But I would like it to work for park, and also for emergency stop. Note that if I try to use it for emergency, I have no hydro either. B) I have to know this for my own tractor. Your mileage may differ. I need to know how to find neutral really fast. :O And the machine has no brain.! dz Sorry I don't know the setup on 620. But these guys all are saying use the hydro, it's all you need, or use, to control the tractor. I think a Park Brake would be convenient, safer; but not essential.

Brakes? You got Brakes? LOL I bet even new they were marginal. With proper PM they can be restored to orginal worthiness, still a little short.....

As a result of recent threads elsewhere, on Sunstar, some info was presented about Sunstar brakes (drums, interlinked w hydro, dual peddle) but I think 620 is different again - I have no real info on 620 or any powermax. Is 620 a drum brake setup???????? sm01 A brief descript would be nice. (I suppose I should rtfm). B)

quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
Far from being a pow max, my 716 first time I tried the brake = nothing. I called the dealer; he said DON'T USE BRAKE, it's bad for the hydro. On my tractor, and I expect powermax is different, the brake is on a combo brake/clutch pedal.
I believe on the AC 620 they are separate. The brake is the right pedal, the left is the clutch. My 3112V it is the clutch brake combo on the right.