Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
maxtorman1234

Early power steering

maxtorman1234
Hey, I was hoping I could get some thoughts/opinions on the early power steering that was available with the cylinder mounted under the running board. It appears the "power steering" on my 920 is actually factory power steering....Much more complicated than the newer system, and I'm missing some parts. I was wondering how these early steering units worked, and if many people on the site are using them. It looks like it should be pretty simple once I get all the parts figured out....

BLT
Should be the easiest to work with. Bascially you replace the origianl drag link with a short link to the built in spool valve and the ram now becomes the drag link. Oh sure you have to mount it and adjust it, but there is no steering unit or extra hoses. It connects to the hydro lift valve ports. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCzEN8cvH4rE3CN_5kbp796Dq

PhanDad
I have a tractor with the old style PS; it works well, only issue is the power steering gets the hydraulic fluid first, so if you are turning, then the hydrolift doesn't work since the available hydraulic fluid is used in the PS ram. Also, the tractor requires the hydrolift, or at least the modification of the charge pump for the hydrolift to increase the pressure. I agree with Bob, I think it's less complicated. But I guess that depends on how you look at it. The hydraulics are less complicated, but it is more mechanically complicated than the new style PS. IMO, it is definitely much easier to install than the new PS.

maxtorman1234
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input and information. Looks like I'll try to get this working if I can find the parts I'm missing, or make something up with identical dimensions. Do these machines steer at all when the engine is not running?

I added PS to my 7790 this spring------------love it. I've got a series of gardens with 10-12' of grass between them. To turn around when working one garden on that 10-12' requires turning the wheels full lock one way, then going full lock the other way and backing up. Then full lock the other way as I start the next pass. With the PS, you can use the palm of your hand and spin the steering wheel while not moving.