Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CDeHeer

Help with a magnetron part #

CDeHeer
My 3310V will start cold but not hot. I assume the Magnetron as it has been converted and pulled the motor. Glad I did as it was a mess under the shroud. It appears the Mag had made contact with the flywheel.

Should I re-assmble with proper gap or replace the Mag? If the price is right I would opt to replace. Can anyone help with a part # for a replacement? Only markings are the stamped 4793. Motor# 243431 0196 01 7011241

The plug lead is 21"

BLT
If the armature was riding on the magneto (flywheel), it was grounding out. Re-install it on engine and spin the engine over with out spark plug and see if you have a healthy spark. If so, re-use it. Looks like lamination just got shined up a bit. My two cents worth for the day.;)

powerking_one
Bob, I don't know what you are smoking in that pipe, but your comment is quite off the mark . The coil/armature laquminations are already grounded to the coil mount & block. Even if there was zero clearance from the flywheel magnets to the coil poles, it would still generate spark (assuming the points-condenser-Magnetron) are working. This is magnetics not electrical; the flywheel and coil laminations are at the same potential. Tom (PK)

Brettw
quote:
I don't know what you are smoking in that pipe, but your comment is quite off the mark . The coil/armature laquminations are already grounded to the coil mount & block. Even if there was zero clearance from the flywheel magnets to the coil poles, it would still generate spark (assuming the points-condenser-Magnetron) are working. This is magnetics not electrical; the flywheel and coil laminations are at the same potential.
If Bob is smokin' anything and not sharing that is a problem. However, I agree with Bob. If the ignition coil is working, set up the gap (basically the thickness of a business card) from the flywheel to the ignition module and check for spark. If it has been making contact with the flywheel that is an issue. I generally find Bob's input VERY helpful and correct. If nothing else it is at least worth a try. And P.S. To my knowledge Bob doesn't smoke........ anything.

BLT
Remove and lay the spark plug on the cylinder head in a manner the grounds the body only and keeps the terminal high or has a rubber boot. Watch the video as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38IHiIKR70

dentwizz
Ive had a lot of them with evidence of rubbing yet still work fine. Usually it just makes for noise or drag until corrected. Even if the coil did need to be replaced, the generic unit is only $25 from the right source.

1969nicholas
OK now for my 2 cents I have brought a couple simplicitys that were converted to magnatron but the flywheel was not repolerized. It may be the problem you are having. These were the 243431 10HP would start and run but wouldnt start hot and ran with no power but ran and did function the tractor. Like I said just my two cents.

timflury
quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
Ive had a lot of them with evidence of rubbing yet still work fine. Usually it just makes for noise or drag until corrected. Even if the coil did need to be replaced, the generic unit is only $25 from the right source.
$25 from the "right" source.... $38 + shipping from Briggs directly. 398811 is the part number from them. I would still correctly set the air gap and try again.

CDeHeer
I've had this running strong for 5-6 years so I think I can rule out polarization. After further tin removal I suspect heat may have killed the armeture. I have not had the motor out for couple years and the lowere fins were caked despite blowing with compressed air every couple of weeks. For the price posted it is safe insurance. This tractor cold will start with 2-3 revs on a 4 year old battery but nothing but backfire when hot. No way to test without a load for a 1/2 hour or so.

CDeHeer
Well to update the post, I found out why the lower fins were so caked. 1 of the rear oil pan bolts had come loose. Literally finger tight. This had been pulling oil in with the dust. I rarely added any oil over the last year but I guess a little goes a long way. I did replace the armature but will keep the original. Good opportunity to clean everything thoroughly.