Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

triad

yukon

i want to talk about triad engines i think they got a bad rap in the last six months ive bought 4 soverigns with triads in them they all run excellent the last one i bought was today and the p o said it got so hot it melted the throttle cable [twice] till he got the valve covers fixed and got the fins blew out i think thats the key keep everything blown out and a fresh air cleaner, along with the triads i have 2 commands and the triads run as good as they do. i wont have any trouble buying a triad in the future.thanks for letting me vent. p.s. just finished a oil change.

The Triad in my Sovereign worked great. Smooth, quiet and efficient. I just sold it though before it decided to let loose. I don't think they give a lot of warning before they go bad (if they go bad!).

I hear a lot of complaints, negativity, general denegration, warnings, gross analogies, etc. What I don't hear is what Kohler has to say about it, or said about it, if anything. I like Kohler and find it hard to believe they simply released a bomb and that's the end of it. I have also heard people, well versed in engines, refer to this as an engine of the future, perhaps ahead of it's time. Lots of talk. What are the facts? What is the problem? Are there recalls? Are there certain conditions or maintenance requirements in play? Those are things I would like to hear about. In the meantime, in my personal ignorance, I avoid; but it's based in fear and here say. The only clear thing I hear is some of them blew up. Other engines did also. Does warranty apply; or is that just a short term thing? Those are my interests. Your mileage may differ. Play on. dOd

In one of the other discussions on the triad Al Edens had some very good comments about the engine and what he has done on some to help with the heat problem. Do a search on triad and you will get some good info and read about one of the guys who had one and felt is was a decent engine. Blew up on him!. I think one of the biggest problems is the heat issue and not keeping the fins clean.

Graham, Check this post for Al's comments; I think it'll answer all your questions: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=116967&SearchTerms=triad To me, the bottom line is Kohler stopped making the engine, probably due to the the early reputation. Can't make any $$$ if no one wants to put the Triad in new equipment.