Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord PTO how hot is too hot?

locknut

The pto on my 3210 seems pretty warm to me.Rolls smooth but can faintly hear the needle bearings.Tried to get the shaft clear out when I worked on the side to side slop but didn't want to budge.Anyway,I used it about 20min then checked the temp.PTO pulley was 186deg,belt was 140,and the arbor pulley was 170.So how hot is too hot?? It still has the original banded belt setup with the W pullies.Pics on this page; http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121421&whichpage=2

Looks a bit like the PTO on my 3112. Mine got so hot and worn from running it with the bearings ungreased (for perhaps 5 years or more) that the bearings disintegrated (there was nothing in the housing but the shaft when I opened it up to look) and the bearing housing ended up distorted and about 1/8" shorter than the replacement I had to get. New bearings wouldn't go into the old housing, it was so out of round, and the belts were smoking from the heat. Replaced the bearing housing, bearings, pulley&shaft, got a grease fitting for the housing and greased it all up. Don't have a thermometer, but it seems to be a much happier unit now. Grease might quiet down those needle bearings and keep temps cooler too, if it's not already part of your equation. .

Greg, I have the same PTO and pulley setup on my 3212. I've noticed the belt runs hotter than my standard v-pulley PTO's, but only slightly. You can grab it and hold on tight after mowing 2 acres without discomfort. The pulley is a touch hotter, but not enough so that it has alarmed me. I just assumed it was a charactaristic of that unique pulley setup, but perhaps I need to take a closer look. The belt is on it's second summer (was missing when I bought it), and is wearing very well. It doesn't appear to have been over-heated at any point.

Well,I guess I'll keep it greased up good for now and keep an eye on it.Truth were known,it's probably running hot because all the parts of the PTO assembly are on there way out.Looks like a complete rebuild will be in order if I can find all the parts.