Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hood bolts - an evening with Rembrandt

huffy

I recall seeing a diagram that someone posted depicting the hood bolts on the old round hoods. I think BLT drew it up, but I can't recall for sure. You'd think I'd be able to find it easily with a search, but I'm technologically challenged and for some reason can't seem to locate it. I've ordered some wing bolts from McMaster Carr that Greg Pointon used on one of his restos, and I found some conical springs at a local hardware store. I need to figure out the specs on the little flat bar thingies that go on there too. Is the hole that the bolt goes through threaded? Or is the hole just smoothed and over-sized a bit so the bolt slides through? My assumption is that it's smooth, so that putting the conical spring between the nut and the flat bar thingy puts tension on it. Hopefully the drawing will clear that up for me. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm still waiting for the cool-looking wing nuts I ordered from McMaster Carr to arrive (the same ones Greg Pointon used on his B210 resto). In the meantime, I used these cheesy looking ones to make the hardware utilizing Bob's drawing. Though he playfully mocks his artistic talent, Bob's diagram was a tremendous help. I got the springs and rubber washers at a local hardware store. I used 1/8" thick x 1/2" wide flat bar, cutting 2 pieces 1 1/4" inch long and drilling and tapping them to accept the 5/16-18 bolts. The bolts for the back (that screw into the dash panel) are 1" long. (Though Bob's drawing of the OEM bolts shows them, I didn't find it necessary to use springs on these since the nuts they screw into are welded to the inside of the dash panel, obviating the need for spring tension). For the front, the length of the springs that I found dictated that I use 1 1/4" bolts.

The assembled front bolts in the hood before it's set on the tractor:

And here they are on the tractor. I couldn't get a pic of the front ones sitting in the notch without taking the front grill off, which ain't gonna happen, but Bob's drawing shows it:

The only OEM hood bolts I've ever run across have been rusty and the T handles were bent. I've seen some decent looking NOS ones on eBay, but they're too rich for my blood. Besides, I think the ones like Greg used would look really good on my tractor. And it's less than $9 a set - including a spare. Plus, they're plastic coated so they won't rust. Here's link to Greg's B210 resto. You can see the bolts he located in the last few pics. I really like them. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118636 Unfortunately I'm beginning to think the ones I ordered got lost in the mail. Oh well. I'm out of town for at least the next few days, so maybe they'll be waiting when I get back.

Ahh..I remember those now. I do like them. I also like the wing bolts from the flat hoods, but never saw any long enough to use on the roundhoods. http://www.wellsimplement.com/pdfs/hoodscrew.pdf