Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ardisam

Part number for Kohler KT17 Exhaust Bolts

ardisam
I am overhauling a Kohler KT17 Series I motor, and I am replacing the exhaust bolts on the cylinders. Im have trouble finding the part number for them, so any help would be great. Ryan

PhanDad
For a Series II engine, the bolts are part number 52 086 09, an HC 5/16-18 x 3 1/4" "screw" per my KT17 Series II parts manual. It's only used in one location for two spec numbers. However the Simplicity spec engine (24343) uses studs, lock washers, and nuts, the studs are part number X-352-18, 5/16-18 x 4". There is also a longer stud listed for one different spec number, it's 4 3/4" and 2 are used; the other two are 4". The nuts are part number X-82-2; lock washers are part number X-21-1. Hope this helps.

PhanDad
A couple years ago I purchased a couple of the 4" studs at my local "old time" auto parts store. They have many orange drawers (Dorman?) of auto hardware, including long studs. I think they're stronger than all thread and might be grade 5. If I remember correctly, the only issue was one end was coarse thread, the other end fine thread, so I bought fine thread nuts and used the coarse threads for the cylinder jug.

ardisam
I would think there would be enough there to make is coarse thread, Im still going to have it a 5/16 bolts. I snapped off three off them when I was taking it apart.

Brettw
The other option that may be easiest, is to buy a fine or coarse thread bolt of the appropriate length, that is only threaded half way. Cut off the head and thread the other half? Just a thought.

ardisam
Ok, after I talked to you last night, I found a website that had the same bolts for a Kohler M20. So, I went ahead and bought those last night. I called the Napa shop and told to cancel the on back order, the guy told me that my parts will be ready tomorrow. Looks like I will have the KT17 back together this weekend, plus I will have a little help too. My son will be here with me.