Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Robby

Simplicity 7117 Hydro Problems

Robby
Ok, here's the story: I recently purchased a Simplicity 7117 with a 48" deck for an extremely good price. No rust anywhere on anything. But it has one problem. The back wheels are locked up. I know the person who owned it and they drove it in a parade about 3 years ago. On the way home from the parade, the battery went dead so his dad decided it would be a good idea to tow it. While towing it the back wheels suddenly locked up and will not freewheel. He said when you start it it just makes a grinding noise from the rear end area. Also, the buttons on the release valve won't come up. Is this easily fixable or should i consider the unit toast?? Thanks, Rob.

MysTiK
Well, not the entire unit; but the hydro maybe. I have heard you can pick up a used one for around 150 - check the classifieds here, and maybe ebay, maybe even Craigslist. The Sundstrand hydro is generally bullet proof - but towing is a really bad idea, even short distances. Another thing, thinking parade - running them at low engine rpm can be destructive, especially with a low idle speed. Recommended idle speed is 1800 rpm. I tend to run lower than that; but i cheat. If it's in use, I use at least 1/3 throttle; and usually half to three quarter throttle. Other people run full throttle typically. It's a great tractor you have; it just has a minor problem. And if the price was right when you bought it; you can still come out ahead of the game. These beasts were built to last a long time. Parts are available; you just have to watch and wait. The parts are out there. Other people might have some suggestions or info also. Somebody might have one for sale. You never know. You can also put a wanted ad in classifieds. Welcome to the Club.

OrangeMetalGuy
My guess is the hydro pump is toast. As was stated, you can't tow them any distance. Replace the pump and you should be fine. I would remove the old pump, then with the rear end jacked up make sure you can turn the wheels easily, verifying no transaxle issues.

Al
Hi, Towing is a NO NO! even for 100 ft. The motor is geared to the rear end and turns whenever the wheels turn. Without the engine running and the charge pump running, the motor gets no oil. This is the only way the motor can be damaged, without the pump being damaged also. On new tractors, any claim for the motor section of the hydro was rejected, because the only way it can be damaged by it self without the pump is to be towed. Result, no warranty. I suspect you have this problem. I need to check, I might have a hydro. The last 2 I sold brought 300.00 If I have one I would get 250.00 for it. Al Eden