Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

b 110 popping?

brockway

Hey guys just pulled out the 110 out of the barn from winter storage it was running good then when I let it sit for two weeks she started popping real bad. I thought some one was shooting a 22 but it was my dad driving the tractor down the road. Could the valves be sticking? I heard from a old timer shoot some water mist in the carb when running wide open and that will knock the carbon loose. Any thoughts would be great, I need to run it in a parade on Saturday.

As said, I would try a new plug first, then probably clean and adjust the points. a carb clean or at least adjustment may be in order too. I don't know if the water trick would work on a sticky valve, depends where it is sticking. It does however clean the combustion chamber. It will get rid of carbon deposits that cause slight knocking, and improves performance a bit, just by creating better air/fuel flow through the system. I have done it many times, on all sized engines, from single cylinders on up through propane forklifts, and even 350 chevy's. A couple ounces of dish soap and a couple cups of water in a spray bottle. It does not have to be done at wide open throttle, but you will need to feather the throttle to keep the engine from stalling. Use the stream setting on your sprayer, remove the air filter and spray directly into the carb. Spray at a rate to nearly kill the engine, but keep it running. The reason you were told WOT is because the higher the rpm, the more water it will take to get near stall condition. On a larger engine, (forklifts and 350's) I have used plastic cups and poured it in ;) If it does stall you will likely have to clean or replace the plug. What it does, is basically "steam clean" the inside of the engine. Do it OUTSIDE, burning soap really stinks, and will give you some white smoke if concentrated enough. I also recommend an oil change after, just in case any water gets past the rings or valve stems into the crank case.

I think Zippo has a video about how to check to see if the valves are sticking and, if so, squirting some power steering fluid on them. Do a YouTube search.

Thanks for the ideas Dan I will give them a try. I got three to run on saturday. I would like four,( B10,big ten and a 210) sure would like to have the b110 in the mix.

Thanks for the help guys I took off the cap for the points and found corrosion on them cleaned them up and now she runs great!