Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
7016simplicity

7016 simplicity 16 hp briggs smoking issue

7016simplicity
1975 7016 with a 16 hp briggs on it... Its been smoking since I purchased it a couple months ago.. Now that I started using it alot, its using a lot of oil..Im sure it needs a rebuild, but was hoping to use it for the summer.. I rebuilt the carb.. Runs great for a while then under load acts like its running out of gas.I change the spark plug, but does the same thing, so its not the plug... Lots of oil or blow by coming thru the rubber tube that goes into the carb neck..With the air filter off you can see lots of blow by going into the carb..I took the hose off the carb, and plugged the hole on carb inlet tube...Still runs fine for a while then acts up.. I thought it might have been the blow by going into the carb... Motor has 90 lbs compression..Lots of fuel flow, new gas filter, Any ideas ??? Comments

RayS
I have two new 16hp briggs. one shows 90 psi the other a little over a 100 psi. Not rebuilds, they are new. One has 13 hours on it the other has around 55 hours. Mine do not use oil at all. I would check the breather.

1Litre
Is the dipstick sealing ? That can cause oil consumption internally. Briggs service manual has a clearance to check from the disc to breather housing . It is measured at the opening on the internal side.