Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Poor Mans Power Steering....easy mod !

GLPointon

I just installed the new spindle bearings/washers also known as "POOR MANS POWER STEERING" on my Allis Chalmers 410. (sorry for the duplication if you saw it on my "AC410 Loader Resto" thread) Here's a quick "HOW-TO"...I highly recomend this mod...its easy & quick I read about this months ago and just got around to doing it. I received the parts from Chris Huffman "huffy"...he was very helpful sm01 Thanks Chris

You see how the alxe spindle tube has cut into the lower thrust washer. This washer & grease is the only thing that the spindle assy. pivots on...lots of resistance/friction

The two thicker washers get bonded to the spindle assy with J-B Weld then install the pre-greased bearings, then the other thrust wesher. !Be sure the washer on top of the bearing is "notched" so grease can reach it from the zirk on the spindle tube.

After removing the lower OEM washer clean and rough up the base with sand paper. then apply the J-B Weld and the thrust washer.

I then pre-apply a good grease to the bearing, then stack the bearing & the uppur thrust washer.

Then pre-grease the spindle and reassemble...

I tried this out and was amazed how much less force it takes to turn the wheel. Its not quite "power steering" but is very much worth the hour it took me to do it :D:D
  • Like 1

Very good idea Bill. I didnt see one in the original thread I saw. I thought about the bearings being a bit exposed but I thought the new grease will push out any dirty grease...but prevention is always better. I'm making a boot for mine too, Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
And add a dust seal: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=107148

Why bond the thrust bearing washers? Seams the path of least restance would apply here. I've had the thrust bearings and washers on hand for months but have not found time to install. McMaster Carr was the best bet for purchase. I know there are many threads and a Zippo Vid. on the installation

I bonded the washer because thats how I read it on another "how-to" thread & I thought it may be to level the subsurface too in case its grooved??? Take the time to do it...you'll be glad you did sm01
quote:
Originally posted by CDeHeer
Why bond the thrust bearing washers? Seams the path of least restance would apply here. I've had the thrust bearings and washers on hand for months but have not found time to install. McMaster Carr was the best bet for purchase. I know there are many threads and a Zippo Vid. on the installation

I did my FEL B-116 some time ago. I bonded the bottom thrust washer because the natural "lay" of my spindle made it not quite square to the verticle protion. Maybe the lever arm was slighlty bent. I used a collar over the verticle portion of the spindle to hold the thrust washer down and square until the JD Weld cured.

Went looking for these items locally and no-go. What is the order # that I need or the link to them so I can order them from the net. Napa or any of the others drew a blank. Also, do the washers come with it? I think my spindle measures 5/8 inch D. larry

Larry, I got the parts over the net from Motion Industries. Here's the link to their search page: https://www.motion.com/

Parts: Thrust bearing Torrington NTA 1220 $2.90 Thick thrust washer Torrington TRB 1220 $1.98 Thin thrust washer Torrington TRA 1220 $0.95 These parts are 3/4" ID; are you sure your spindles are 5/8"?

Tom's (powerking_one) original "how to" post: https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/7974-poor-mans-power-steering/

This also can be done for Sunstars without power steering. The spindle diameter is larger than on a Sovereign so the specified part numbers don't apply but I found ones that would work.

Thanks guys, didn't mean to steal the link but how to get them is I believe important to all who are interested in this. I think I made a mistake in measuring the top of the spindle. I do think it is 3/4.

Would love to know the best place to get these,and these are same size for the 7000, 7100 series mowers. I have 2 Id like to do this to. Thanks, Steve

Steve, The "best" place would be the place that you're most comfortable ordering from considering part quality, price, shipping cost, and vendor reputation. There are several choices listed above to choose from. I personally prefer "brand" name parts and usually pay more for that preference. When I purchased, I looked for Torrington brand and found that particular bearing (and probably the line of this type) was Timken Torrington. In looking up where I previously bought them, I see they are now Koyo Torrington, so I guess the line was sold again. Maybe buying "Brand" isn't worth it anymore. I have found McMaster Carr usually sells "off brand" so I don't usually buy there, but others have and are happy. Happy parts hunting; you'll be glad you did the mod.

Thanks guys, I found them at a tractor sales parts counter. Quality and here now. Price may have been high but I know it was good stuff. Paid $28 for two sets and my spark plug. larry

Greg/all; You may want to note this mod I did 10 years ago and posted as a thread was moved by Kent to the Tech Tips section (and non paying members can't access), so this is not "new", but hey, it's good to bring up these old threads for the newer members. So is this plagiarism? The patent has already been applied for (LOL). Tom (PK)

Working Link (2023) to Tom's Tech Tips post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/7974-poor-mans-power-steering/

>Dale, >Check out the links below from the archives. Also, Kent moved a >thread I had written up regarding spindle and axel mods over to the >tech tips section (I think). BTW, the kingpin axel pivot needle >bearing upgrade I mentioned in "country"'s thread worked out great. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=17135&SearchTerms=axel http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10303&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=axel >Tom(PK)

Edited by PhanDad
Added Link to Tom's Original Post

Always seen the "power steering" on the Ingersoll boards and was going to ask here if it would work on Simplicity and never got around to it. Now I know. Just have to get them ordered. Thanks.

"powerking" I'm offended that you would even mention the word "plagiarism"...In my opening paragraph at the begining of this thread I mentioned that "I read about this months ago and am just getting around to doing it" And I do like to show step-by-steps to help and encourage others. But I never claimed to have developed this proceedure In fact this was mentioned to me in my "AC410 Kwik-way Loader Resto" thread by "sammiefish" with full credit to YOUR original post. sm01 I just needed to defend my honor LOL sm01 [quote]Originally posted by powerking_one
Greg/all; You may want to note this mod I did 10 years ago and posted as a thread was moved by Kent to the Tech Tips section (and non paying members can't access), so this is not "new", but hey, it's good to bring up these old threads for the newer members. So is this plagiarism? The patent has already been applied for (LOL). Tom (PK)

Sorry guys I didn't respond on how to find these bearings/washers because I had trouble myself. "huffy" got mine for me. The great thing about this club is I knew people that had that info would jump in and share it... "Steveo" I believe the same size bearing/washers will fit any Simp/AC from the begining to the 7100/900 & AC 400. but not the powermax/720 or Sunstar I believe theirs are larger sm01

This is really an excellent post. This is absolutely going to happen to my 7118, I need to go through the entire steering it to loosen it up and this will be part of the whole revitalization. Thanks for sharing all of the info.