Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Poor Mans Power Steering....easy mod !

GLPointon

Ditto... I'm getting the parts for both of my other tractors. It is so easy and works so well. The dust boot suggested will also keep in more of the grease too sm01
quote:
Originally posted by steveo358
I can see a big run on these bearings and thrust washers tomorrow.

I did this mod and interestingly enough didn't notice any change....I was disapointed, I'm glad its working for others....

I just added these to my other FEL machine tonite with a drastic improvement. I think it's much more noticable on the FEL machines than a 4" tire machine with no extra front weight, but it will always save spindle wear, and it's cheap ($22.62, not sure what shipping costs). I did look around a found a 10-pack of the bearings much cheaper in a liquidation sale a couple years back. I have used these part #'s (thanks Allis HB-112): Koyo # TRA-1220 hard thrust washer-$2.28ea http://www.applied.com/apps/commerce/catalog/catalog.do Koyo # TRB-1220 hard thrust washer- $4.31ea http://www.applied.com/apps/commerce/catalog/catalog.do Koyo # NTA-1220 needle roller bearings- $4.72ea http://www.applied.com/apps/commerce/catalog/catalog.do

Sorry to here that Dave. you must have had good OEM thrust washers/grease still. Or like Josh said too, I think it works better the heavier the front end is. (like the ball-bearing tool chest drawers, the more you load the drawer the easier it rolls)
quote:
Originally posted by Architectdave
I did this mod and interestingly enough didn't notice any change....I was disapointed, I'm glad its working for others....

I ordered mine from bearings and drives, and the NTA 1220 was 2.14, the TRA 1220 were .82 and the TRB were 1.65. Ordered 2 sets. Thanks guys, Steve

quote:
Originally posted by steveo358
I ordered mine from bearings and drives, and the NTA 1220 was 2.14, the TRA 1220 were .82 and the TRB were 1.65. Ordered 2 sets. Thanks guys, Steve
Now you're talkin...that's a much better price. Do you have a link to them? We use Applied here at work, so I'm not sure where teh price lands with the shop discount and no shipping. They just take it out of my check sm00

We have a local one, but parts werent in stock. Will be coming out of macon, Ga. Said they were all koyo, made in USa . I guess they bought out torrington.

I was curious what you guys are using to notch out the thrust washers. man, them babies are super hard, and I havent been having much success.

Steve, If you reference the original post of this mod from 10 years ago, note that you will have to grind the "eyebrow" openings with a Dremel tool say with a 1/4" diameter cylinder profile stone/bit. Chamfer the edges slightly so it will not damage the needles in the bearing also. Tom(PK)

If you dont have a dremel tool/die grinder you can chuck a "rat tail" file in a drill and use it. (like the file you sharpen chain saws with) They are hard, even with the power tools it takes awhile... Good Luck sm01

• 1 month later...
John, The link I posted above (on the first page of this thread) still works. Just put the part # (NTA 1220, etc) in the search box and the item will come up along with some alternates.

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did this mod on my 65 Landlord. It is almost ready to go out of the shop, so I cannot comment on effectiveness. I did not 'bond' the lower washer, but did level the spindle with JB Weld before starting the vertical thrust bearing setup. Many years ago, around 2002, when I got the tractor, the steering was frozen. I put a 3/4", full complement needle bearing  back in place of the 3/8 long original bearing.While I had it apart over the winter, I cleaned and repacked the bearing. The grease was still in from the last packing. That longer bearing gave me much easier steering than original equipment. This time, I replaced the bushing at the eccentric pin. I am hoping the repairs and mods will tighten the steering and make it a bit easier. Will let ya'll know

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
On 24/06/2019 at 10:53 PM, MrSteele said:

I did this mod on my 65 Landlord. It is almost ready to go out of the shop, so I cannot comment on effectiveness. I did not 'bond' the lower washer, but did level the spindle with JB Weld before starting the vertical thrust bearing setup. Many years ago, around 2002, when I got the tractor, the steering was frozen. I put a 3/4", full complement needle bearing  back in place of the 3/8 long original bearing.While I had it apart over the winter, I cleaned and repacked the bearing. The grease was still in from the last packing. That longer bearing gave me much easier steering than original equipment. This time, I replaced the bushing at the eccentric pin. I am hoping the repairs and mods will tighten the steering and make it a bit easier. Will let ya'll know

MrSteele, how did you go with your 65 Landlord modifications to the steering?  I have been reading the archives, with great interest, and your comments of 24 June, 2019 seem to be the most recent.  What bearings, thrust washers, and dust seals did you use.  I am planning to modify my Simplicity 725.  Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dince

Mark. (LI), thank you for that supply lead.  I am yet to search for them here in Australia, but if I am unsuccessful, I will certainly be looking to the US!  I have part numbers- NTA 1220, TRB 1220 and TRA 1220 to look for.

4 hours ago, dince said:

MrSteele, how did you go with your 65 Landlord modifications to the steering?

For this statement:

On 6/24/2019 at 8:53 AM, MrSteele said:

the steering was frozen. I put a 3/4", full complement needle bearing  back in place of the 3/8 long original bearing

I believe he's referring to part BD in the following IPL:

image.png.fe0d7f6a4adc4813f092bee7bb3af06b.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PhanDad said:

For this statement:

PhanDad, OK, I understand that I misunderstood MrSteele.  I have replaced those two bushes/bearings BD on my 725, so hopefully have eliminated that potential drag!  Thank you for setting me straight!

On 10/8/2020 at 1:05 PM, dince said:

MrSteele, how did you go with your 65 Landlord modifications to the steering?  I have been reading the archives, with great interest, and your comments of 24 June, 2019 seem to be the most recent.  What bearings, thrust washers, and dust seals did you use.  I am planning to modify my Simplicity 725.  Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

As I am reading this, I am not close to my bench, but the parts I got from the original thread on this improvement, and got them from Motion Industries, locally. I cannot quote prices as I get a substantial discount at the store because of my real job and my account set up. Inexpensive is about all I can say. Thrust bearing Torrington NTA 1220 $2.90 Thick thrust washer Torrington TRB 1220 $1.98 Thin thrust washer Torrington TRA 1220 $0.95. I copied this from another post, but I did not pay those prices. Of course, Shipping will cost if purchased online. 
When I did the mod, I leveled the wear in the spindle with JB Weld, allowed it to set, then filed to a flat surface before simply placing the bottom thrust washer. I used a 1 1/4", I think, wheel cylinder cup for the dust shield, may have been smaller, but completely covered the bearing on the flat inside of the cup. 

On 10/8/2020 at 5:19 PM, PhanDad said:
On 6/24/2019 at 7:53 AM, MrSteele said:

the steering was frozen. I put a 3/4", full complement needle bearing  back in place of the 3/8 long original bearing

The above comment by me was the 2 bearings marked BD. The Simplicity OEM bearing is just over 3/8" long, but there was room for longer, so I put longer in, using 2-3/4" long bearings instead of the OEM length. During the time I was rebuilding the BGB and improving the front end, I also replaced bushing AW, bought from Motion Industries. It felt and looked egg shaped, so I replaced it. A small amount of reaming was necessary before installation. I thought all this improvement was going to make her "turn on a dime", but, in all honesty, I can tell little difference. The initial changing of the BD bearings so far has been the most effective improvement I have done. I can see where steering is likely improved with a FEL added to the machine, but for a mower or trailer dragger, Poor Man's Power Steering was not so much of an improvement, for me, anyway

• Like 1