Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign CH18 Throttle Lever Response

PhanDad

As Derek (FlashandFlare) stated in this post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121616 I have the same throttle lever response issue: A lot of throttle lever travel before the engine increases in speed. The idle speed is 1600 rpm and full throttle is 3600 rpm. Some pics of my setup (the engine is running): Linkage plates at idle:

Corresponding throttle lever position:

Throttle lever rotated forward to when engine just starts to increase in speed:

Poor quality pic, but high speed adjustment screw is just starting to touch secondary plate when the throttle lever is in the above “rotated forward” position:

Linkage plates at full throttle:

Corresponding full throttle lever position:

When I installed the throttle cable, I clamped the sheath so that the throttle lever was full forward when the linkage plate is at max rpm. With this setup, the dash mounted “throttle stop” prevents the cable from pulling any further and putting “extra” stress on the linkage plates. However this means a lot of throttle lever travel before any increase in engine speed. This is Ray’s pic from Derek’s post:
[img]/club2/attach/RayS/comandch201212.jpg[/img]
In looking at Ray’s pic, it appears the throttle cable is clamped such that the high speed set screw is closer to the secondary plate and would therefore probably respond more quickly – but might bend the linkage plates if the throttle lever it pushed to the dash “throttle stop” limit. I’ve looked in both the Simplicity Tractor and Kohler Command Engine repair manuals and can’t find anything specific about setup of the throttle cable. So does your Sovereign/CH18 throttle lever position vs engine speed compare to mine? Thoughts on resetting the throttle cable sheath position? Any other suggestions? And the spring on the choke plate is “custom”; I installed it to make sure the choke stays open and doesn’t vibrate closed.

Bill, I was also symptoms of A.P.C.S. (Automatically Partially Closing Choke System) :o) I also thought about adding a spring on the choke plate but after adjusting the sheath I no longer have any issues. Also, my throttle cable sheath as well as Ray's (per his picture) are clamped far less onto the sheath than yours is, so I am not sure that will cure your or mine throttle response issues...............but what do I know, not being sarcastic, really what do I know. LOL I'm just a two stroke guy, they don't have these fancy multi plate carburetors, either it's a simple cable and a slide or I hook up my laptop or a stand alone fuel controller to the EFI and make my adjustments accordingly. F&F

I think it is at least partially just a symptom of the Kohler Carb and it's linkage. The CH25 in my Power Trac is very similar. The throttle lever must move about halfway to get it off idle, leaving only the "top half" of the linkage movement to really control the engine speed.

On my machines I only pull the lever back till the engine slows down to an idle. I never pull the lever all the way back. That way there is a nearly instant response when the lever is pushed forward. Most times I never hit the stops in either direction.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
On my machines I only pull the lever back till the engine slows down to an idle. I never pull the lever all the way back. That way there is a nearly instant response when the lever is pushed forward. Most times I never hit the stops in either direction.
See, I couldn't do that with mine as if you are at WFO and then decide to throttle it back, it's progressive every last inch of the travel, as in every little movement in the lever closer to the idle position brings the RPM's down little by little. But then when you got to throttle up, you have to move it off the idle position at least 70% of the levers travel before the motor responds and then in the last 30% of the travel it progressive just as if you were decreasing the throttle. Does that make sense ??