Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JayM

Another Tire Question

JayM
Someone's recent tale of woe in dismounting front tires, and the helpful advice from other folks here, sounded much like what I went through last fall in replacing the original front tires on my 3410 Landlord. Thought that was all behind me, but I now have a very, very slow leak in one tire. Today I finally resolved to find it. Yup, it's a rim leak. . .and I mean slow. One small bubble, then half a minute latter another. Only one place. I really do not want to go through the dismounting process again if there is any alternative. Any ideas from those of you who have been at this much longer than I? Thanks........Jay M.

jlasater
You might just try using a hydraulic or screw jack and put it on the side of the tire as close to the bead as possible (make sure the tire is deflated) then slide the whole thing under something heavy like a truck. Start cranking and it may just pop the bead right off for you. I've used it on ATV tires before.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

B_WALLY_
Take the wheel and tire off the tractor and lay it on the floor with the leak facing up. Then take a good sized hammer and whack the tire a good one right next to the leak . Take windex or? and check for leaks, repete the procedure if nesessary. I worked at a farm implement dealer when I was right out of high school, got to change all kinds of big tractor and implement tires. We used to fight over who would do liquid manure spreader tires out in the field.

Kent
Must admit that I took the easy way out -- for now -- on a similar leak and used a can of "Fix a Flat" -- it fixed it. It'll probably be a bear if I want to use this wheel somewhere down the road and have to take this tire off... but, right now I have more old wheels than I have patience to try messing with... especially if we're talking about breaking it down....

I wrote a long winded reply re: "flat fixer" and got timed out. Quickly: 1. That stuff eats from the inside of the tire and WILL cause tread separation. The voice of experience talking. 2. It is not supposed to be a permanent fix. 3. It must be cleaned out and the tire repaired properly, not the rubber plug from the outside. I know the question was about a slow leak but I had to get in my 2 Lira.