Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle Bar!!!

Finkbeinerpulling

Ok, so on last weekends excursion to new york to pick up my B-1 allis i stopped in at sandy lake implement to check it out and found a pair of sickle bar mowers. one is a allis and complete the other is a simplicity and missing the blades and bar otherwise complete. long story short i brought them both home-one for me and one for my coworker. i took the allis and I've got it running and mowing but it has a few rough blades and a couple guards are busted up. I'm sure i could find blades and parts and such but at what cost? My latest idea is to trade mowers with my coworker for the incomplete mower and set it up with 3 inch stuff i can buy ANYWHERE. My coworker is a freak over original stuff but i know I'm gonna use this sucker so I'm not real anal about it. i have countless grain tables and such laying around the farm waiting to be scrapped which i can get a pretty good start from since the entire bar pretty much has to be changed. then i just gotta build a bigger crank for 3 inch travel. just a idea right now but has anyone else done it? thoughts?

There is a nice write-up with pictures of a sickle conversion in the "Do-It-Yourself" section of the Simple Tractors site.

They can be converted to use late model blades BUT, you'll have to have a new bar made with the correct dimensioned holes. If you redrill the bar it will weaken and break under load.

You can get new sections here: [url]http://www.sickleservice.com/[/url] Sections for Simplicity/AC sicklebars are not listed. You will need to call and ask. IIRC, about $5 each. Rivets may be obtained from McMaster Carr. - cheap The guards seem to be only available used. - shouldn't be too many $$ Member HTews makes a replacement bar that the sections are riveted to. You can also get bar stock from McMaster Carr and drill the holes.

Ok thats not quite as bad as my dad was afraid of, he was worried about 10+ per section. does anybody on here use these things extensively and mow a lot with them?

You might try these people. I was informed that their sickle sections are what you are looking for. http://www.jariusa.com/

I believe the Sickle Service part # for the blades is 207-231. If you go on their website and enter that part # it will show you the specs, so you can compare them to your old blades. I'm planning to redo my sickle bar once I finish with my tractor resto. If you're going to redo yours now, it'd be cool if you did a thread in the Show & Tell forum detailing the process.

I have 3 walk-behind tractor sickles (Simplicity). They are about 30" cut and all the guards are fine and blades just need cleaning and sharpened. If you get in a pinch I may be able to sell few guards. These are the same parts on the B series knives and guards.

• 7 years later...
On 6/8/2012 at 12:30 AM, JimDk said:

There is a nice write-up with pictures of a sickle conversion in the "Do-It-Yourself" section of the Simple Tractors site.

Does anyone know where this write up can be found?  I have been searching and cannot find it...

3 hours ago, TylerK said:

Does anyone know where this write up can be found?  I have been searching and cannot find it...

I don't think the "Do it yourself" section made the transfer from the old site to the new site.  It's a shame because there was some good stuff in that section. 

The old site is no longer available (at least for me).