Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mech123

4041 not charging

mech123
if have not been able to do any tests on the charging system yet.. i do have a brand new alternator for this tractor, but dont really have the time and space to replace it... has anyone put a gm alternator on one of these... i have the bracketry to mount this on the side just a little confused on the resistor side of the mix... thanks chris

wilm169
http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=150&LinkName=Troubleshooting%20Onan%20Charging%20Systems&CatID=30&CatTitle=Electrical&URL=http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&topic_id=514

mech123
yes depending on the vintage of alternator... the newer one are running i was told 100-125 amps... the older 60's were about 80 amps.. i would need to put a resistor in line... i was wondering if someone had already done it and could help me out with what type alternator they used and what resistor..... thanks again

ssmewing
If it's an Onan there is a rectifiers that is the most likely cause. I had one go bad with the same problem. It was easy to change. I read that if it is not grounded well that itself will kill it. So on the new one make sure it's clean metal for ground.

mech123
wilm explain why i would have to cut the hood... have you ever fabricated anything... in my prior post it said i have the bracketry already... as long as the alternator is in line with front pto pulley i should be good