Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ok guys here is my problem…

AC_B-1Novice

And I am a total blank on working on one of these things (notice the novice in my ID). I have begun by seeing if the engine is ok. Bringing back to life this long awaited project Landlord is a challenge to me and I really need your help to do it. No idea what it is other than its mfg is 990314 and the engine number is C 081790. It has points and VR. PO broke the key off in the ignition and I had to pull the gas tank (what a bear), the battery and the dash to get the unit out of there. All it does is kill the engine anyhow. It has an amp meter and may need to bypass it to troubleshoot, I don’t know. So I fired it up to see if there was spark through the plug with one of those see through adapters and there is no spark at the plug. PTO is disengaged but I don’t know if there is anything else that has a safety switch on it. How do I begin to find the problem? I’ll need a lot of help on this tractor because I would like to come close to restoring it. It has a deck and rear hitch on it. But first, I want to make sure the engine is ok. It does turn over but will not produce spark. I also have a parts tractor but the engine on it has the carb off and it has a coil. Not much help there. Help and comments are welcome and badly needed. Pictures will be coming with a follow up but right now I need to troubleshoot this engine. larry

Hi Larry, I don't have anything like this landlord of yours, but if there is no spark the first thing I would do is find the wire that comes from the points for the kill switch and unhook it from the switch to be sure it is not grounded. If still no spark, I would pull the flywheel and check the points and condenser. Also check the gap between the coil and the flywheel. I am assuming you have a new plug already, that needs to be eliminated also. I don't think these older tractors have any safety switches on them so that shouldn't be a problem. That wire that goes to the kill switch from the points will cause no spark if it is bare or grounding anywhere along its length so check it carefully. Hope this gets you started. Others with more experience with these will jump in with more help, I am sure. Steve

Thanks Steve you are faithful. I did disconnect the kill wire but will check it for shorts. There is a little rectangular box on the side of the engine near the front that I thought held points but maybe not. I did start to remove that to see but it was sealed so good to the engine that I decided not to pull it off. Will get a new plug tomorrow but I would think that the viewer would show spark even though the plug was bad but I'm a dummy on this stuff. I know some guys on here are very good on this sort of problem and I'm sure they will get me going. larry

That little box down below the carb on the front of the engine is the points cover. Yes, it is (or should be) sealed to make it waterproof. Remove the cover, clean and adjust the points per the instructions in the Owners Manual for the later 10HP version of that engine, here: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/243431/page_4.htm The carb is different, but AFAIK, the points adjustment is the same on your 9HP engine. Then check for spark, again...