Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Promised pics as I get started

AC_B-1Novice

Thanks to you guys I put a new plug in the engine, filed the points and put some gas in the spark plug hole. Hooked up the battery and pushed the starter (with the dash laying as it is now) and it fired right off and ran for 2 seconds. GREAT, now I know it will run so I can start detailing it. Put new front wheel bearings in from my parts tractor and managed to get thrust bearings today. Here is what it looks like now. Here is the start and that was just to get the ignition switch out.

Dirty and the dash laid back

Another shot of how dirty and filleted open

Front end condition and stuck muffler.

Condenser and points after I filed them.

Regulator still works might change wires.

Really messy, hate to even start on that.

That is it. All comments and suggestions as to how to go about it and help are very in order. Larry

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
Great pictures, I've seen a lot worse!
I was thinking the same thing! I've seen far worse. Looks like you are getting a lot more familiar with these old tractors Larry. Before you know it, you'll have to remove the "novice" from your user name!

Larry: I've been reading your posts and have a couple things... You made mention of being a dummy about some of your questions...No such thing. Life is a learning process no matter how old or uninformed you think you might be. Next, keep in mind that with most of us this is a hobby...granted in a lot of cases an out of control hobby but still to be enjoyed. Part of the fun here is trying to help someone with a problem and then seeing his success. I've been playing with these things for almost 30 years and there are still times when a plan comes together I'll say to myself " Man,I should have been a genius." Just one more little triumph that to most people would mean nothing. You should know by now that all the help you need is just a click away and remember, there are no dumb questions...only dumb answers! Keep after it and you'll get there.Good luck. P>S> Those wires on the regulator look great to me.

Thanks for the encouragement guys as I wouldn’t even think of doing this if it were not for such a good group of guys willing to stick with you on a project. Time to get the camera ready because I have to take pictures of everything I take apart or I may not get it back together. One thing I would like to have is a repair manual for that 23D engine. I have several B&S books on my shelf but yet to plod through them to see if any of them contain info on the 23D. I’ll keep going as long as you all do. :D larry