Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grass growing, Ain't mowing

BrianD

Guys, this in the first summer in 9 years that I've had a lawn to mow that I couldn't handle with the push mower. My Dad's AC 312D has been sitting for 9 years and a few weeks ago I greased, oiled and sharpened it up and got her going. She ran like a champ last weekend. My dad had installed a flat 30 amp fuse between the ammeter and the head light switch, and it had blown last week, unbeknownst to me. This morning it wouldn't start. I checked the fuse and found a bare wire that had rubbed thru at the tail light and repaired it and replaced the fuse and Alice started right up, but now the electric power take off and implement lift control are not working. I plan to pull the gas tank tomorrow to check the switches and connections, but don't know if I should be checking somewhere else. Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!sm01

Sounds like an open connection somewhere. Doesn't sound like a safety switch since the lift should work with the key "0n". You might have pulled the hot wire off either the main switch or the lift switch when then feeds power to the electric PTO switch. (Going my memory here, switch order might be reversed) And in a pinch, you can always unhook the lift cable from the deck if it's up and run a temporary 12V feed to the electric clutch (with a switch) and mow.

Be careful removing the gas tank. I broke two before I got the hang of it. On my Homies, I remove the steel shelf the tank sits on. Two small bolts on either side of the cowl. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb or shut off first. I busted up the fuel feed at the bottom of two different tanks trying to wrangle it out of the hole. It will come out by the way, but it's not the way to do it.

Finally got a chance to get back this electrical problem last night. Drained and pulled the gas tank and got an eyeball on the wiring and switches and found a loose connection on the electric PTO switch. I tightened it and checked out the other connections and after re-installing the gas tank started her up everything seems to work just fine. Thanks, guys, for the suggestions. I'd be lost without yer input.