Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler regulators

SmilinSam

Whats the difference between the small black regulators on Kohler engines? I have 3 regulators marked 41 403 09 1 marked 41 403 05 and another just like the 05, but marked 41 403 01 A The 401 403 09s I Know came from a CV-12 and a M-14. The other two I dont know what they are from. I have a K-321 with a 15 amp alternator that was on a 314H, but I want to switch from the aluminum finned regulator to one of these small black ones. Anyone know what works with what?

I have 3 regulators marked 41 403 09 15 AMP 1 marked 41 403 05 15 Amp and another just like the 05, but marked 41 403 01 A Also 15 AMP;)

Well thats nice;) Just for curiosity, how do you tell the difference between a 15 amp alternator and , what is the other? a 10 amp? Got a bunch of alternators in a box to sort out:o)

Sam the 15amp reg. will work with any 12volt system that doesnt exceed 15amps, but to ID the alternator coil itself...? I thought they had a color code on them??? but not sure dz but I'll be watching so I can find out too

All the alternators in my box look generally the same , with all of them having green coloring around the edges . Some have open copper windings, while others have blue coating on the windings.

Sam, I remember seeing a picture some where that showed the 2? amp, 10 amp 15amp, and 25-30 amp Not a very clear one here.
[img]/club2/attach/GregB/statorpic.JPG[/img]
Note the different number of coils around the circumference of the stator, also one appears to have heavier coils. I did find one ref that showed a stator with two missing coils as a 10 amp, and all coils present as a 15amp. Maybe Al will chime in on this, as he mentioned the number of magnets on the flywheel having to do with amperage also.

I troubleshot my non charging 916 last nite, regulator/ rectifier is bad, all the ones I am seeing online don't resemble the oem one,if in fact is still the oem one on it.