Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116H Won't Start

rcwannab

Got half of the mowing done this weekend, but now the tractor won't start. Started in the morning with no problems and mowed for about an hour. Stopped for 15 minutes to pickup sticks. Tractor wouldn't start. Battery cable positive terminal clamp was severly corroded. Tried to loosen bolt to remove, but bolt disintegrated. Pulled, cleaned terminal and used vice grip to clamp tight to battery terminal. Started right up and mowed for an hour. Stopped 30 minutes for lunch. Tractor would't not start. Turn key and nothing, just dead. Charged battery, replaced battery cable, but nothing. No noises, nothing. Just dead. Any suggestions on where to start or what I can eliminate as causes.

Firstly,(don't take this wrong or feel bad if it is the case) make sure with all of the working on the tractor you have been doing, that the hydro lever is in the nuetral position and the PTO is disengaged. Don't ask me how I know of this possibility. Also check your ground cable and your connection at the starter and that all connections are tight at the soleniod. SOmetimes in replacing a cable to the solenoid, other wires can be knocked loose. Also check that the wires on the ampmeter are connected. Try this and good luck!

The other thing I have had happen is the safety switch on the hydro was not being pushed in all the way when the lever was in neutral. I found I had to put a little sideways pressure on the lever to engage the switch. I eventually ended up putting an new switch in. The other area to check would be the plug on the back side of the key switch to make sure that it hasn't become corroded. Hope you have good luck finding the problem, they can be hard sometimes and drive you crazy.

Welcome to the club. When you say no start just dead; what exactly do you mean? If you don't even get a solenoid click then more than likely safety switches has been triggered (pto left engaged, not in neutral, etc). For me I have trouble with the seat nanny and not being in neutral. So I would check those first. Rick.........

I appreciate all the advice and won't take anything the wrong way. When I say dead, I mean no solenoid click, no nothing. I suspect a switch or something but am not familiar enough with this mower to know where to begin to look. I tried briefly looking under the seat, since this was the first time I had opened that area but didn't see anything directly jumpng out at me... I will work thorugh the items suggested and appreciate all the assistance. For the age of the mower, I am very impressed. It mows very, very well and is great to drive. I will continue to complete some basic maintenance and repairs to keep it going.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to share the cause of my non-starting problem. Replaced breaker and wire connection and started right up. Thanks for all the suggestions and assistance.

Hopefully you installed an inline fuse in your new wiring. Without the breaker or a fuse in the main feed wiring you can fry a lot of stuff. Worse yet is the possibility of a fire depending on what shorts out and how close it is to the fuel system. I wouldn't run without the protection of a breaker or fuse. JMO.