Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstrand Hydrostat Questions

BAP

Between myself and my father we have a total of 4 tractors, Simplicity 7016H, 7116H 7116 Shuttle and a Allis 716H. They Hydros are Sunstrands and I have a couple of Questions. First I have misplaced the part # for the Hydro filter in an aftermarket brand like Wix , does anybody know it? Second, one the the tractors is leaking oil out of the shaft of the charge pump and when the tractor runs and moving the hyrdro has a high pitch whine to it. Should I just replace the seal or dig deeper? Whats the best oil to run in these units nowadays? I'm trying to keep them all going as I use one to mow and one to rototill and my father does the same. Thanks

The filter is 1068 Napa and 51068 for a Wix on the remote filter. I just starting using this same filter on the pump as well. There is enough clearance for the long filter on the Sundstrand. They are both the same filter and cheaper at Napa. The oil can be Type F, Dexron and other brands. Seals are replaceable and the hydro will probably quite down with a filter change.

There is a lot of archived information on this subject. A 1307 Napa and a 51307 Wix filter is shorter than the long filter but is a Simplicity equivalent of their medium length filter.

Anyone have experience with the WIX 51335 or NAPA 1335 filter for the short filter on some of the Sunstrands? It is 21 micron vs stated 25 micron for the Simplicity 1671234 filter. Physically it is the same as the Simplicity filter. John U

I have a 1335 on my 7790 diesel. It seems to make the sundstrand whine a little. It is a direct replacement to the Simplicity according to the Wix website, but is shorter in length. I bought a 1307 to use next time. I crossed the 1335 to Baldwin or Hastings and got there number and some how came up with the 1307 number as a longer version. You can get that 1068 filter for the remote location in a long version of either a Baldwin or Hastings over 5" long. I lookup filters on those three websites. Baldwin and Hastings is owned by the same company. A AC Delco PF 13 is the same as a Wix 51068.

Does anybody have a preference to the type and brand of fluid used. Are the "store brands" that the auto parts stores sell as good as the Brand Names. So far all I have been able to find is store brand fluid but am still looking.

I usually use Walmart store brand. I buy it by the gallon. I use Dexron and have used type F in the past. Never have had a problem with either. The oil is bottled by one of the Big oil companies:D. There store brand motor oil is bottled by Mobile in my region of the country according to Walmarts MSDS they have hanging on the wall.

I use Simplicity multipurpose hyrdo oil or an equivalent in my tractors with Sundstrand hydros and Dexron in the tractors with Vickers hydros. The reason I do this is because that's what was in them originally, not that the other types won't work or aren't as good. I just don't think it's a good idea to "mix types". And, IMO, unless you drain and refill a couple of times, you'll never get all the old fluid out with a one time drain/refill especially with tractors with hydraulic lifts or power steering.

For my 917, I have used the 1335 (short) in the past. This filter is mounted right on the side of the Sundstrand. Does the 1068 fit this application, or is it too long? Just curious, I would like to use the longer filter if I can get by with it,

Yes, I have it on my Sovereign 18. There is enough clearance that you can get the tiller belt between the filter and tire.

Upon researching this last night, maybe the Baldwin B132 http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/partspecification.asp?partnumber=B132 would work good. I like the length of it (3.25"), as I only have room for about 4" between my tire chain and the filter.

I picked up a Hastings LF149 today - which crosses to the Baldwin B132. Looks like a good filter. Anyone use this filter?

I think that Baldwin is the OEM supplier of the filter. The portion that screws into the mounting surface on an OEM looks just like the Baldwin - Hasting filters.

quote:
Originally posted by mike_sdak
Upon researching this last night, maybe the Baldwin B132 http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/partspecification.asp?partnumber=B132 would work good. I like the length of it (3.25"), as I only have room for about 4" between my tire chain and the filter.
Why not the Wix 51335 or NAPA 1335 2.485 long, same as the OEM Simplicity 1671234. John U

quote:
Why not the Wix 51335 or NAPA 1335 2.485 long, same as the OEM Simplicity 1671234.
I am currently using the 1335. My supposition is that a longer filter (Baldwin/Hastings) would be "better" (less noise, more filter media). Nothing scientific on my part.

The 1335 does seem to whine more on my 7790. The 1068 will work with tire chains and the 1307 napa is around the same length as Simplicity medium length filter. I hae a couple spare 1335 and definitely will use them.