Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Which Briggs manual to get

huffy

The Haynes manual I have isn't the greatest, so I'd like to order a Briggs manual. But I'm not sure which of the two manuals listed below would have what I need. The first says it applies to all out of production single cylinder engines produced up to 1981. The second says it applies to single cylinder L head engines in production after 1981. I assume the first one is the one I need, but then again I have no idea whether Briggs continued producing the motors in the round hoods after 1981. http://www.briggsandstratton.com/shop/learning-resources/Repair%20Manuals/Repair%20Manual%20Antique/ http://www.briggsandstratton.com/shop/learning-resources/Repair%20Manuals/Single%20Cylinder%20L%20Head%20Repair%20Manual/

Go on ebay and buy one of the,out of print, Briggs factory manuals with the red cover. They are on all the time in all conditions and cover into the mid 80s and beyond in many models. You will be very pleased with that manual. The first one you are lookind at on the Briggs site is the manual they produced for the older collectable engines. Gary

I have the antique engine manual. Its good for information on the magnamatic ignition systems used on the early model 19 engines used on the 700/725 tractors. Otherwise its not that great for the 10, 12, or 16hp B&S engines. The specs are a little incomplete. The second manual you posted likely does not include any cast iron engines. I second Gary's suggestion. The older original repair manuals should have what you need.

Well, that tells me what I needed to know . . . that neither manual will be much good to me. I've thought about buying the red covered manual, but have put it off since we have access to it via the sticky posted at the top of this forum. And, I've had trouble finding some of the specs I need for my engine in it, so I was hoping there was a manual geared a little more specifically to the old single cylinder L heads. Oh well.

I'd reccommend the 'red covered' service manual as briggsetc suggested. I'm not sure what you're refering to when you say you have access to it at the "sticky posted at the top of this forum", but I can usually find what ever I need in the red book.

John_RI: At the top of the Talking Tractors forum there's a "sticky" (permanent thread) by BLT entitled "Briggs service info can be found here.". That thread links you to the red manual. That being said, DanD has pointed out that the torque specs I was looking for were indeed there, I just did not find them. I looked hard, but missed what was right in front of my eyes, I guess. Oh well, thanks everyone for your help.