Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

spark plug question

huffy

The Haynes manual I have for my 12hp engine lists three different kinds of spark plugs: standard, resistor, and optional resistor. What are the latter two, and when would you use them instead of a standard plug? The one that's in the engine now is a resistor, and I'm trying to figure out the reason, if any, that the prior owner switched to that instead of the standard plug.

Standard plugs will produce static on car and home radios and TVs. The resistor plugs (as used in all automobiles since the 70s) will help to tone down or eliminate the static produced by the ignition system. I am not sure what the difference is in the optional resistor plug, unless it is used if the resistor plug does not stop the static. All should run fine in the tractor. Just depends on how much static you want to cause on yours and your neighbors' electronics.

Ah, now I see. I tried researching it a bit before I posted. The stuff I read talked about potential interference with electrical systems, but I guess I didn't understand what they were saying. I thought they meant that you would use the resistor plug to prevent interference with electrical systems in the vehicle. Thus, I assumed that maybe you'd switch to a resistor plug if, for instance, the engine had been converted to electronic ignition (which mine hasn't) so that it would work properly. this 'trecalicity stuff confuses the bajeezus out of me.