Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mbinwi

Axle and LH hub on my 700.

mbinwi
Hi guys, While taking our Simplicity 700 apart for cleaning, inspecting and painting, I noticed a lot of "slop" on the left rear wheel. I discovered that some time ago, the hub had been broke into 3 pieces, and welded, or brazed, back together. The set screw that goes into the axle was broke off, inside the hub, and has worn a cone-shaped hole in the axle. The set screw that goes into the key was OK, and came out easily, but, the key was worn, and the sides of the key way in the hub and the axle are worn. Looks like I'll need to replace both the hub and axle. Hard to tell from the parts diagrams how the axle comes out. Doing a quick search for parts, one the forums sponsors from West Bend, WI has both parts. Axle: $108.00 hub: $113.00. Do I need to take the trans. completely apart to change the axle? Could the axle be "saved" by building up the key way? Any ideas? or help on taking out the axle? Thanks. Mike.

mbinwi
Thanks huffy, Looks like an easy job. While in the tech forum, I found lots of tips and ideas. I guess I should look in all of the "nooks and crannies" of this site before I press the panic button!

HubbardRA
You can remove the axle with the hub still attached. Loosen the collar on the axle behind the hub. Push, drive, hammer, the axle as far as it will go to the right side. The collar on the left side should move till it contacts the hub. Then take the outside collar off the right hub. Remove the right hub. slide the gear off the axle. Remove the keys and the lock ring. Then pull the axle out the left side. Be sure and keep all the shim washers in the same order and reinstall them in the same positions as they were removed. Some have notches to fit over keys and some do not. By the way, you can also align the hub and weld it to the axle. The hubs on the later model tractors were just a flat plat welded to the axle. If you need to you can install a later model unit in that tractor. I did after having a lot of hub problems. I used a unit from an AC 716H and it fit perfectly in my 61 Wards ( Simp 700). You will need the axle, diff, and all the gears and shims from the other tractor to do this swap.

huffy
quote:
Originally posted by mbinwi
Thanks huffy, Looks like an easy job. While in the tech forum, I found lots of tips and ideas. I guess I should look in all of the "nooks and crannies" of this site before I press the panic button!
That Tech Tips forum is a God send. It only costs $10 a year to have access to it, and I bet that forum alone has saved me thousands by being able to look at it rather than having to pay someone to fix stuff for me. By the way, I think the set screw hole in the axle is supposed to be conical. If I remember right, the set screw that goes into it is conical, and putting that set screw into the conical hole is what lines the axle up. I'm pretty sure that Ray's thread will tell you for certain.

mbinwi
Axle and hub problem fixed, thanks to the help of cleanbee (Dan) from Watertown, with some parts in great condition, and the axle removal pictures in the tech forum by RayS. Thanks everyone with the help and suggestions. This IS a great site! More than worth the full membership price. We are in the "puttin back together" phase with the 700, and I'll post pics when it's done. All ready looking forward to the next project, which will be a tractor to take up to our land in Price County. Thanks guys! Mike.