Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

combine 712/7117 and/or 7117 repower/rebuild?

mbsengineer

I may be presented with a good deal on a 7117 package, which (from what I've read on here and comparing to the photos I've seen of the tractor) appears to have an original Kohler engine. The owner said starting this season it started smoking and using a lot of oil (like a quart per 3 hours of mowing). It also has hydro lift. My 2 questions are... 1) is the hydro lift compatible with my AC712, so if I choose not to get the 7117 running, I could scavenge it off for my 712? 2) based on the limited description above, what would be the "pros recommendation" of what I should do with the engine should I choose to keep the 7117? should I rebuild the current engine (if that sounds like what it needs), look for a used direct replacement engine, or repower? and what kind of $ ballpark would I be looking to spend with each option? Thanks in advance for any recommendations and feedback.

Hi There has been some breather problems with KT's that would be worth looking into befor you take it apart. The Posts in the last 2 month will have all the info you need to check it out. Is the correct oil in the crankcase ? Smell the oil for a gasoline scent, it could be thinned out from a carb or fuel pump issue. If it is worn out the top ends are easy to rebuild with the removable cylinders design. Parts are expensive for the KT's. Just measure your parts well to get good results when rebuilding. I like the V twin Kohlers and you could put one of those in from 18 to 27hp or more. I have seen some surplus lower HP for $995.00 but muffler and drive shaft adds to the cost to convert. On the hydraulic lift, I think if your chassis is '80 and up it may bolt in. I never did a conversion on one on either newer or older chassis. I bet someone on here has.

If your A/C 712 is a gear drive, the hyd. lift will not work. It uses the pump from the Sundstrand transaxle for power. If it is a hydro, it can be converted by changing some valves and adding all the hydraulic lift parts. It is not a simple conversion. If the 7117 is in good overall condition, I would re-build or replace the engine. There is lots of information on this site about re-powering the Soverign class tractors. And now for the best part, two Simplicity tractors are just the beginning of a nice collection.dOd:D

quote:
Originally posted by JimDk
If your A/C 712 is a gear drive, the hyd. lift will not work. It uses the pump from the Sundstrand transaxle for power. If it is a hydro, it can be converted by changing some valves and adding all the hydraulic lift parts. It is not a simple conversion. If the 7117 is in good overall condition, I would re-build or replace the engine. There is lots of information on this site about re-powering the Soverign class tractors. And now for the best part, two Simplicity tractors are just the beginning of a nice collection.dOd:D
My 712 is hydro, so I could convert it, but perhaps that's not a smart choice for me since my time is limited, so I really can't afford to have my tractor down while I'm "learning" how to install a hydro. C What would be the probable ballpark on a rebuild? I did some reading about re-powering, and I guess the B/S Vanguard is another popular option. How do these compare with the V-twin Kohlers previously mentioned? I figured if I wanted to replace the engine, there would be a clear-cut favorite/best option, but perhaps not. Thanks again.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121332&SearchTerms=lift This is a link to the info to modify the valves on the hydro to use the hydraulic lift. I am not sure if the parts from the 7100 will directly fit on the 712; but if they do then you just need the valving kit. Someone could perhaps verify the fit itself - I suspect that will work. There might be also a requirement for a pressure gauge; but it might not be required. Again someone else might verify that as well. The valving change seems relatively straightforward. Incorrect pressure would result in incorrect function. Pressure is adjusted by shims from the kit. The suggestion is to start with one shim and work up to correct pressure/function. The dark side is excess pressure can cause damage - hence, start with one shim as suggested. That is mentioned in the linked thread.

The install of a 7100 series hydraulic lift into a 7000 series (A/C 700 series) is not straight forward. The 7000 series doesn't have the hole for the hydro lift lever and some other issues besides the hydraulics. I believe Rod did a conversion but can't find his post, I did find this post about the conversion however: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=41226&SearchTerms=hydro,lift I'd fix or repower the 7117 and have another tractor. A 16HP single cylinder Briggs would be a good engine choice. And remember, you can't have too many tractors.

I have converted a 710 6-speed to a hydro/hydraulic lift. This was done with the whole back end out of a 7119, so I only had to route the hydraulic lines and mount the control/valve. It was still alot of work. Keep it in the 7117, the longer wheel base makes it easier to remove the mower deck. If the tractor is a good deal, buy it, you have better than a 50% chance that the smoking problem is the breather valve. I have a 917 that was using oil and smoking, I diverted the breather from the air cleaner to a tube directed to the ground. I do not add oil all season now.