Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tbear9686

is it worth it

tbear9686
Hi all, new guy here, I am trying to find out if you guys think this is a decent deal, I found this for sale locally, the guy wants 1500 for it, I think it would be a fun restore project but don't know if I want to start with that much $$$. It is a simplicity 725 with a replacement 8hp motor, original paint, 32inch deck, single bottom plow, sickle bar mower, push blade, disks, harrow, front weight, wheel weights, and chains, all are supposed to be in good condition, is this too much money, I am in Colorado and there is virtually no rust, a couple small dings in the fenders. Please give me your opinion.sm01

Chris727
Around here in MO, by itself, a restored tractor probably wouldn't bring that much. If the implements are all in good condition and are OEM simplicity items they might make the package worth it if the tractors are rare in your area. I don't know what the tractor market is like in Colorado. Around here that package might go for $750 if it came along. Package deals are rare.

SmilinSam
Tractors with sickle mowers that work usually bring $1500-$2000 locally at auction in my area. My 2012 with the sickle alone brought $1900 Saturday...

Talntedmrgreen
Seems high to me...I suppose I look at the packages for what they might sell for separately, and that would be top dollar for each piece, unless everything is spotless. Of course, that all goes out the window in a place where the machines are scarce...even moreso, if you get a big bundle like that. Services like Uship.com are helping to level the playing field though...for $100-400, you can get a dirt cheap machine sent up from the midwest.

MysTiK
If you want, need, or can use the features listed, then the value goes up. A list of features you don't want or need, has no value to you directly. Front or rear weights and chains are low priority for me, and front blades are cheap, but not free. I would lump those together casually at 200 max, which might be low and might not. That leaves tractor, sickle, deck, plow, harrow. Plow, harrow - common - no big deal. Guess 150. Other pieces will work or adapt. So that's approx 350 plus: Tractor is rare. 400 Sickles are hot. 350 Deck can be rare 200. TOTAL = 1300 STEAL DEAL Start w 350 plus: Tractor 300 Sickle 200 Deck 100 TOTAL = 950 In my world = 800 tops. I know I'm being brutal with prices - I can be worse also. At 1500, it's too high, any way you slice the pie. Or, as said, if it's all excellent condition, and IF you love it and just gotta have it. Then that's ok. You can also consider the convenience factor of having all these pieces together already, no searching high and low for months or years to find them. That's the 1500 figure. So even that can be ok. (Read the first 2 sentences again (bold type). It's a point of view, and it's personal). I assume you have researched this tractor already. You already said, it's more than what you want to spend to start a resto. add (or subtract) a couple hundred for that. point of view. oops = looks like the discs are free - left those out. Oh, well, you do the math, could be a deal breaker. :D hope that helps.

tbear9686
well I went and looked at it and the gas was drained when it was parked, installed gas and it fired right up needs a battery and the sickel bar blade is broken but there. However due to a family situation I can not purchase it. so if anyone is interested please let me know and I will give you the info for the seller.(with his permission) it is also posted on colorado springs C.L.