Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What do you think? Updated (6/18/12)

simple-kid

http://providence.craigslist.org/grd/3064204878.html I want that johnny bucket on it. Is it worth what he's asking for it? What are your thoughts? Any info on the bucket or the tractor would be helpful. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. He told me it has a leaking fuel line. So it doesn't run at the moment. I'm going to look at it on saturday.

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
By the look of the sickle it is for an early model tractor, not for use on a rbt!
...but still worth half the asking price. ;) I wouldn't wait till Saturday, if I were you 8)

I agree with others. Call him. Do the deal by phone. Sight unseen. Let the chips fall. Worst case, you get the bucket, might need some fixes, who cares. The rest can be sold in whole or in parts; or kept as a parts tractor. I can't see how you can lose on it. I can see you might have to put a lot of work into it, and need a place to spread it all out for a while. That's the downside. The upside - if you are lucky, it all will work. The JB is worth the 500. Tell him to take the ad down. Close the deal - somehow. Tell him you are a simple kid, and just need a break. 8D Call him now. I hate deals like this - it's about first contact. This can be very disappointing; you want to watch out for the big oweee that can happen - until you have it on a trailer. I notice the date posted was a week ago - that's amazing. It must be uglier than the pix. I love "rusty olde junk". But even if none of it works; it's a good deal, and will pay for itself. The 48" deck is already peeling paint, thank you. What's that orange piece beside the deck???? Is that a chute? Good luck....

This reminds me of when I bought my parts tractor - it was close nearby; but I wasted no time, the ad was only one hour old, an hour later it was mine, and I had my working deck which I needed - the other "stuff" was all bonus - parts tractor no motor, snowblower, dump cart, weird blade, chains, and now I have a spare deck shell and spare spindle parts also. Cost was price of the deck I needed. I loaded my trailer and went directly to work, on time, I just had to park on the far side of the parking lot due to 10' trailer issue. 8D Later, went home, and tried to figure out where to store the new toys. Such difficulties are welcome here. On another note, I bought a snowblower cheap, had no use for it, pure speculation - bad idea - got lucky and recovered well; but a lot of hassle due to it's age and wear - I did not know that when I bought it. I thought it was worth a lot; but I sold it for a little. I was lucky to escape from that one; a guy who rebuilt blowers took it away, and that was clean, I informed him of the issues. I was lucky there to recover costs. That deal carried an out-of-town gas expense also. 8) EDIT = I kept a "soft cab" that came with - still don't know if that will fit - that's a future episode. :D

Thanks Graham, I am trading two of my simplicity's for a wheel horse and a old simplicity walk behind. Then on Saturday I'm going to pick the 3416 up. Thats a soon as I can.

quote:
Originally posted by simple-kid
why do people do that.yellyell It looks terrible.
It's JD enthusiasts trying to fool people into thinking that JD makes good tractors. I think that's a good deal for the package. If you're concerned about whether the tractor actually just needs a fuel line like the guy says, you can always take a length with you and throw it on to find out. But, I think the sickle mower and bucket may be worth as much or more as he's asking for everything.

quote:
Thanks Graham, I am trading two of my simplicity's for a wheel horse and a old simplicity walk behind. Then on Saturday I'm going to pick the 3416 up. Thats a soon as I can.
So, does this mean you struck a deal with the seller? Wow, you are quite the wheeler-dealer. I'm impressed. sm01 Your dad must be some kinda great guy to support you in these ventures. Impressive. dOd Do let us know how it all turns out. Good luck.... .

Thanks Graham, I haven't struck a deal yet but he liked that I deal with the tractors, and he's gonna give me a good deal. Yes I wheel and deal a lot. My dad is great, He has got used to bumping and banging into all my 9 tractors. Wasn't a good day when he hit the tiller blades on his leg and cut himself.

Nick, I saw this ad also on CL as I live in MA. If it had been a few weeks ago prior to me buying a AC 620 and Loader, I would have been all over it for the Johnny Bucket. I believe that item alone can run $1200.00. Good luck! I don't see how you can lose on this one. Do you know if the bucket will fit your other tractors? What is the sickle bar good for? Cutting grass in a ditch? Jack

quote:
I can't reach the guy at the moment.:(!:(!:(!:(!
I know the feeling. You shoulda seen how anxious I was during the day and a half I was waiting for the guy to call me back about the loader/mid-mount grader package I just bought. Don't worry, I'm sure the deal will work out.

And it did. I closed the deal with the guy after calling him 4 times and 1 time on a different phone. He called me back.:p:p I'm going to pick it up on Saturday.:D:D:D:D:D I love when things work out. We worked out a price for it$, Made me happy.sm01sm01 I'm always haggling with people.:Q:Q:Q

I got the tractor!!:D:D Ill have pictures up soon. I'm fixing it back to stock coil and I will have it running tomorrow. The electric lift works great and the rear hitch hasn't be drilled out!!8D Jack, I think It will fit my other and I really don't know what the Sickle Bar mower is good for.

Nick, glad to hear the good news - esp. the "I got the tractor!!" part. Wow, that would have been awful if you didn't. Congrats, and have more fun.! 8D with the JB. dOd

Sickle is good for ditch mows cos it will angle downwards. And also good for really tall grass - like 2-3 feet, maybe worse, cos there's no deck shell to collect grass. It's the automated version of the hand sickle from the good old pioneer days, one big blade on a curved handle. Swoosh. sm01