Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

slow starting what the cause

davidmoll

I own a 6216 tractor and I am having trouble starting the tractor. I replaced the battery 2 months ago. When I turn the ignition key nothing happens and after 3 or 4 attempts the engine will crank andit starts. Any idea what would cause this? All electrical connections look good. Thanks Moleman

quote:
Originally posted by davidmoll
I own a 6216 tractor and I am having trouble starting the tractor. I replaced the battery 2 months ago. When I turn the ignition key nothing happens and after 3 or 4 attempts the engine will crank andit starts. Any idea what would cause this? All electrical connections look good. Thanks Moleman
nothing happens? any click sounds? any movement? total silence? traces of smoke? smells? Are there safety switches? Can you see the ignition key switch? One easy place to start is to clean all those connections that "look good" with very fine fine sandpaper, etc., so they are all clean, shiny, bright. (battery, solenoid, starter, ground, battery). Cleaning all connections rules out some basics. And if you hear or see anything else, more info is always good.

I had to replace the key switch in my 6216 as had to wiggle and try and find the right "Sweet" spot in the old switch. Had looked at the connections, and tracked it down to the switch. A bit of a pain to get at, but cured the problem. Did the same turn 3-4 times to get it to start. My best guess....}:)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks John, I replaced the switch. I know all connections are good under the seat. I will work may way through the engine connections as well before I go back inside the switch panel area. I had to fix my steering and have been inside that panel a couple of times. I learned that all guage connections also need to be connected for it to start. Maybe one of those is marginal because one came loose and the engine wouldn't start at all. Thanks dave
quote:
Originally posted by JohnMBerst
I had to replace the key switch in my 6216 as had to wiggle and try and find the right "Sweet" spot in the old switch. Had looked at the connections, and tracked it down to the switch. A bit of a pain to get at, but cured the problem. Did the same turn 3-4 times to get it to start. My best guess....}:)

If you direct jump the solenoid(on the big wires), does it start? If it does, the solenoid could be sticking. I have seen that quite a few times, sometimes the solenoid can eventually stick in the closed/running position:O which then needs a whack with a hammer...

I had a similar situation several years ago on a 16GTH. Turns out it was a bad main ground connection. If I recall correctly it was located on one of the engine mounting bolts.

• 3 months later...
Been traveling a lot but the tractor still hesitates to turnover. I turn the key switch and I get nothing and finally after 3-4 attempts the engine will turn and start. Haven't checked the ground on the engine or ther starter. I have replaced the key switch and soleniod and when I bought the tractor the seat safety switch had been disabled and that connection is fine. I appreciate all the suggestions. The Moleman

I agree with checking the ground. Must be clean and tight. Some guys ground in a different place than directly on the engine, which sets up lots of interesting bad things that can happen. Make sure you are grounded properly. Steve

Here is another ground to look at:
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/1691263StartCircuit.jpg[/img]
The interlock switch also is grounded to the frame somewhere. The two small wires on the are push on I assume and need to be 'wiggled' on to insure a good connection. I am also assuming that 1691263 is product number of your machine.

• 2 weeks later...
I get nothing at all. I keep turning the key switch on and off until finally the motor starts to spin and then it starts. Thanks Moleman
quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
When you get "nothing", is there any sound, or just nothing as in "silence". Any click sounds? or just nyadahhh.? 2nd request 8)

Better yet, jump the starter from the battery (+) to the starter terminal. Connect cable to starter and tap the battery sied to protect the starter terminal. If you get successive start attemps for each tap on the battery, the grounding problem is within the wire harness related items.

I will checkout all the suggestions this weekend. I appreciate the help. I leaning on the starter being the problem but as usual I will start with the easier groung checks first. The wiring diagram is for my engine/tractor. I will probably go back into the ignition key console and check all the connections in there as well. Thanks to all

Didn't get a chance to check out the problem this weekend. Tractor started right up this time. Took advantage of that to clean up the leaves. Needed to get them cleaned up before I head out on the road. I was thankful however, that all I had to worry about was yard clean up versus the poor souls of NY and NJ. I had two trees come down, one on the power lines (never lost power) and the other crushed the outdoor swing and my garden fence. Does anyone have an opinion on the reliability of a Briggs and Stratton whole house emergency generator?

I had a 5116 and currently have a 6212.5/18. Both tractors have always cranked over slow, and sometimes not at all. Sounds like yours is just a bit worse off. I'd strongly suggest checking out the starter to see what it's drawing while cranking. It's something I've always meant to do with mine but they've never left me hanging yet. Otherwise, while holding the key in the start position wiggle your pto lever and shift lever until you get some activity from the starter. Make sure your seat switch is isolated before doing this. You'll find your issue.