Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
huffy

Points question

huffy
This might be a dumb question, but I've already admitted in a previous post that electrical mystifies the bejeezus out of me so here goes. On my 12 hp Briggs (300421), are the points supposed to be closed through most of the stroke process and then open briefly near the end of the compression stroke, or are they supposed to be open through the bulk of the stroke process and then briefly close near the end of the compression stroke? My understanding was that it's supposed to be the former. But, mine are doing the latter. I can't see how I possibly got it put back together wrong, but I guess your responses will tell me for sure.

HubbardRA
They only need to be closed for about 30 degrees of crankshaft rotation(known as dwell). This produces enough charge to fire the coil. If the gap is .020 when the points open then you have the points installed correctly.

huffy
Oh good. I adjusted them to .020 last night (it's great having an iPhone so you can have Zippo 'splain stuff to you via YouTube while you work). So, hopefully everything will work okay when I'm finally ready to start it up.