Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Scored a loader . . . updated resto pics 9-4-12

huffy

I ran across this package yesterday, and with some advice from Josh (TalntedMrGreen) I was able to negotiate what I think was a pretty good deal. The loader needs a lot of work, but give me some time and it'll be a beautiful adornment on my restored 2012. I'll be getting rid of the tractor it's mounted on, and the parts tractor, as I have no use for them. And, the deal was good enough that even though the tractors aren't worth much I may end up recouping a good chunk of what I paid for the whole package.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• huffy

• Talntedmrgreen

• RayS

• ReedS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some folks are blessed to be at the right place, at the right time!^ Good luck with the new GOODIES!:) Wayne

Any time you can score a loader and a grader blade on the same day is a great day.:D:D Outstanding haul.:DdOd

Nice going Chris! It's not easy nailing one down, but I know you chased this one hard. You might need to use some elbow grease on it in the future, but the good things you have going for you, is that you really can't find one cheaper, can offset a lot of the cost by selling the other pieces, it's complete and it has the short wheelbase mounting kit that will work on your 2012. Not too shabby! ;)

Good find! Is that a 2110? Mine is on a variable chassis which makes it a little longer, the short frame will be nice for manueverabilty, but not as well counterbalanced as the longer frame. Looks like the cross-brace has been replaced, and could stand replacement to bring it back to looking new. I added 45* angled gussets using similar to stock tubing to my cross-brace for little added stiffness to the lower arms as I could see some minor cracking in that area ( the cross-brace). I also had to have an entire bucket fabbed to replace the original rusty one. Sure is nice to have around for those lifting chores!

Reed: From what Josh (Mr. Green) explained to me, I think it's a 2210 because it's a key start rather than a push button. It could use a paint job, but isn't in too bad of shape. The motor runs strong. The only problem is that the differential broke and somebody tried to fix it with a hack welding job. But, there's a replacement tranny in the parts tractor that I'm going to throw in it. The mowing deck looks like it was hardly ever used. Once I swap the trannies and clean it up, and maybe shoot a coat of paint on it, it should make a decent mowing tractor for someone. The cross member on the loader is actually original. It's just that someone welded two pieces of angle on it for some reason. It appears to be the same hack welder that tried to weld the diff. But, I've got a section of tube to replace it. Actually, it'll only take me about a half a day with my torches and welder to get the frame fixed up pretty nice. Another day of sandblasting, and they'll be in real good shape. My only real concern is that the lift arm cylinders are leaking. New seals would help, but the bigger problem is that there's some pitting in the cylinder rods so the new seals wouldn't last long. I'm not real sure what my options are there. I've been told there's really no way to fill in the pitting, though others have suggested everything from JB Weld to solder to brazing. I'm going to see if maybe I can just have them re-chromed. If not, I may have to look into either having new rods made or replacing those 2 cylinders if I can find some the proper size. I expect that'll be pretty expensive, but that was why I argued down the price as low as I could.

I forgot to add that underneath those heavy duty tire chains is a virtually new set of Carlisle All Trails. I'd been planning to buy a new set of tires for my 2012. I would have cost me about $225 to order them from Miller Tire. So, in a way I figure I can kind of deduct that from what I paid for the package as well.

quote:
Originally posted by MDB
Any time you can score a loader and a grader blade on the same day is a great day.:D:D Outstanding haul.:DdOd
No kidding. I would like to make a loader. Maybe I can convince Josh into letting me get some dimensions, since he is the closest person that I know that has one.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
quote:
Originally posted by MDB
No kidding. I would like to make a loader. Maybe I can convince Josh into letting me get some dimensions, since he is the closest person that I know that has one.
Anytime...just give a 30 minute notice so I can refill the beer fridge. dOd

Ray, your welding skills ought to make building one alot easier than the average guy! Good luck. Loader would be a great addition. Hec, I'd be happy with a Johnny bucket....

Good news! I talked to the guy at the hydro shop that made the new hoses for my hydro lift. He said he'd cut me a bit of a deal and make new rods for the cylinders and set me up with new O rings for about $150. Pitting problem solved!!!!! Now, if I can just finish getting that 2012 back together so I can get started on the loader . . . . . . . .

quote:
I would like to make a loader. Maybe I can convince Josh into letting me get some dimensions, since he is the closest person that I know that has one.
I'd had the same idea. Actually, I'd been looking for a loader for quite a while. And Josh was dutifully helping me by sending me periodic e-mails of various ones he'd spotted throughout the country. I almost pulled the trigger on one or two, but always backed down because they were too far away, the shipping cost was too much, or because some of the pics made me uncomfortable about paying the high prices they wanted sight unseen. So, I'd actually about given up and resolved to just build one. I even had scouts keeping a lookout for cylinders, pumps, and steel. I'm glad, though, that things worked out the way they did. Even with what it'll cost me to fix this one I'll still have gotten it for a lot cheaper than the others I looked at.

Here is a good place to get new ram material seals and many other items you may need for the hydraulics. I have purchased from them a few times and provided very good service and reasonable prices. Dan http://www.baileynet.com/

quote:
Originally posted by PeppyDan
Here is a good place to get new ram material seals and many other items you may need for the hydraulics. I have purchased from them a few times and provided very good service and reasonable prices. Dan http://www.baileynet.com/
Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
quote:
Originally posted by MDB
Anytime...just give a 30 minute notice so I can refill the beer fridge. dOd
Thanks Josh. There is a place also in Grand Rapids, Mi. that a Friend at work buys hydraulic rod blanks from to make new cylinders. If I see him today I will get the name of the place.

Ray: It'll likely be a month or more before I even think about starting the loader resto. If you want I can bring it down to White Pigeon and leave it with you for a while. That way you could have it on-hand at your shop for reference while you work on yours.

Congrats! I think......Good luck, I'm begining to think that a Loader is the tractor version of a "Money Pit" I just keep pouring money into mine...I just bought 2 new cylinders, and a tank, and a filter assy, and the valve body is acting up too sm00 ps...but its a blast...Enjoy sm01

• 3 weeks later...
Figured I'd give a quick update on this one, just for the heck of it. I swapped out the bad tranny with the one from the parts tractor, which solved that problem. I noticed the engine was smoking a bit more than I'd originally thought, so I swapped it out for a spare one I had. I thought briefly about keeping the tractor and restoing it to put the loader on, but ultimately decided I'd just rather have a round hood. So I ended up selling the tractor to a buddy of mine who wanted it to leave at his hunting camp to mow down weeds, etc, around his cabin. As to the loader, this afternoon I'm picking up a piece of tubing to replace the cross member. I still can't believe the boogered up welding that someone did trying to attach that angle to the original cross member. But oh well, I'll be able to cut the old one out and put the new one in tomorrow in short order. I've still gotta take the cylinders apart and get new rods made, but haven't found the time yet. I've also got to sandblast the frame down, but it's too darned hot for that this weekend.

Well, I spent most of the weekend at Cherry Fest, but did manage to get a bit of work done on Sunday. I started by tearing down the loader. Here's a few close up shots so you can see just how grimy, and rusty this thing was.

I sandblasted and primed the main frame assembly, and then blasted down the arms. It was ungodly hot this weekend, and trust me when I tell you that being encased in that respirator, blasting hood, and long sleeve shirt was no fun at all.

I re-attached the arms to the bucket, then clamped some angle iron to the arms to hold them in place while I cut out the old cross member and ground the arms smooth:

Then I cut the new cross member and welded it in, cut the cylinder mounts off the old cross member and welded them onto the new one, and got it all primed and ready for paint:

I also managed to get the lift arm cylinders disassembled, and all three cylinders sanded and primed. I dropped the rods for the lift arm cylinders off at the hydro shop this morning, and hopefully they'll have my new ones made soon:

This afternoon if I have time, and if I feel like it, I'm going to start sandblasting the bucket. As you can tell by looking at it, that's going to be quite a chore:

That's a whole lotta work there Chris, and you're making look easy! Awesome progress. You wouldn't see this guy sandblasting, painting, cutting or welding in the heat we had...you da man! :D