Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro Filter relocation? AC vs. Simplicity?

MidnightBarbecue

Hello fellow enthusiasts. My AC 917H has the hydraulic filter mounted in the center of the frame, between the bevel gear box and pump/axle. There are hoses running to the reservoir and the bottom of the pump. My old 712H had the same setup. I believe those tractors are both early to mid 80's models. Unfortunately, both these tractors are worn out and retired. I have since bought a Simplicity 17GTH-L and an 18 Hydro, both early to mid 90's I believe. Same tractors as the AC's, but newer, right? Well the Simplicity. has the hydro filter mounted on the left side, near the rear wheel just below the pump where it interferes with the rotary tiller belt. Both the AC's had a round plate bolted over the filter location and the belt passed freely. The simplicity has a short hose straight from just below the side filter to the reservoir, instead of going to a remote filter & back like the AC has. I thought I could simply switch out the parts and relocate the filter out of my way, but the hydraulic system won't work that way. What gives? I have been struggling with this for weeks and whenever I put the filter on the side it works fine, but with the plate in its place I have no lift and the drive barely works, if at all. Is there something else different between the 2 systems I can change or am I wasting my time? The flat plate seems to completely shut off the hydraulic oil flow on the simplicity instead of flowing through the filter, but did not seem to stop the flow on the AC's. I cannot use my tiller with the Simplicity with the filter in the way? I have ordered an idler pulley and bracket to lift the belt over the filter but why can't I just relocate it like the AC's had? It looks like the idler pulley and bracket are backordered from PartsTree (no time frame estimate) and I'm about out of time to get my vegetable garden going. Anyone familiar with these differences? Thanks, Rick

Welcome to the club! Glad to see another new Michigan member. I have stacked washers out to the desired distance in the past and installed a pulley of 3-1/2" or 4" to clear the filter until I bought the rear PTO kit. It works fine and is alot cheaper. Just install in the same place as above. I would also try to order the parts from a local dealer. I usually get what I need from mine in 2 to 3 days and it helps keep them in business. My local dealers prices has always been the same as Jack`s website or less and I don`t have pay shipping.

One of these systems (and I can remember which is which) has an allen screw threaded in the side where the hydro filter mounts. I would not try and drill and tap the hole with out a complete disassemble of the rear end to catch any metal shavings. Ray is spot on. I just installed the same unit he is talking about on my tractor for around 20 dollars. Simple fix.

Correct me if I am wrong, but all 700 A/C and 7000 Simplicity with the Sunstrand hydro have the filters up in the middle. They stopped building the 700/7000 in 1978 or 1979, depending on your source for year. Then the 900 A/C and 7100 Simplicity tractors began for 1979/1980. Up until about 1982 they had the filters up in the middle. After that they all went to the LH side of the hydro, and yes, for a rear belt driven implement you need the idler to bump the belt up and around the filter. And to second Ray, support your local dealer.

Hey thanks everyone for the helpful input. I switched everything back to the original tractors tonight, will have to hunt further for the idler bracket or make one myself. I did try a couple local dealers but was discouraged both times so started looking online. The old, good Simplicity/Allis/Agco dealers near me are all out of business and the few left have been less than helpful the past 5 - 10 years or so. They just don't seem interested in the older machines, just want to sell new. I do try to shop local if possible. Maybe will have to venture farther on a motorcycle ride this weekend.

Just order the bracket part number 1671233A from a dealer. I doubt you will find any that have it in stock. It is $7.65 the rest can be had at TSC. The idler pulley O.D. is 3.620" X 1" - 1-1/4" belt surface.

Thanks again, guys. My parts arrived today so the backorder time was not bad at all. Happy with my purchase from Parts Tree. Sure I paid shipping but saved travel time & expense. The pulley went on in about 10 mnutes. Sheesh, wish I's have checked in here first before spending many HOURS trying to switch over the filter. Oh well, live & learn. Appreciatively, Rick