Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Armature timing

huffy

I read the section in the Briggs manual linked above for adjusting armature timing. http://recoveryvehicles.tpub.com/TM-5-4240-501-14P/css/TM-5-4240-501-14P_88.htm But, I only see instructions for other engines, which appear different than my 12hp 300421. I'm sure that, like before, the instructions for my engine are in there . . . but I've looked and just can't find them. Anyway, below is a pick of my flywheel and armature. My assumption is that I need to rotate the flywheel until the points close, then check to make sure that the arrow on the flywheel lines up with the "notch" on the bottom right-hand side of the armature coil?

Thanks Ray! I'm beginning to wonder if the on-line version of the Briggs manual isn't missing some pages. It's either that, or I'm having a lot of "senior moments" and need to invest in some new spectacles.

Just FYI...Here is the link to the same info in the online manual! [url][/url]http://recoveryvehicles.tpub.com/TM-5-4240-501-14P/css/TM-5-4240-501-14P_87.htm

quote:
Originally posted by DanD
Just FYI...Here is the link to the same info in the online manual! [url][/url]http://recoveryvehicles.tpub.com/TM-5-4240-501-14P/css/TM-5-4240-501-14P_87.htm
Ugh . . . this is flat-out embarassing! I looked in the "adjusting armature timing" section. I didn't think to look in the "timing magnatron ignition" section because, and this might make me sound even dumber, I thought a magnatron ignition system was something different from a points and condensor system since I've seen threads where people seemed to be talking about having to get their flywheel repolarized to switch to a magnatron system. This has been one humbling experience, that's for sure.

Well, the thing is I've noticed that the title of the online page may correspond to only part of what is actually on that page. If you notice, this info about timing the armature is not under the Magnetron ignition section, but under the "ADJUST ARMATURE TIMING WITH BREAKER POINTS" section that covers half of that page. I've noticed that it's a good idea to look a page forward or back when looking for something in the online manual. The page I linked to is just one page ahead of the page you linked. However, as an attorney, I would think you'd be good at researching obscure information!! (Unless you just have your assistant(s) do it!! :D
quote:
Originally posted by huffy
quote:
Originally posted by DanD
Ugh . . . this is flat-out embarassing! I looked in the "adjusting armature timing" section. I didn't think to look in the "timing magnatron ignition" section because, and this might make me sound even dumber, I thought a magnatron ignition system was something different from a points and condensor system since I've seen threads where people seemed to be talking about having to get their flywheel repolarized to switch to a magnatron system. This has been one humbling experience, that's for sure.

quote:
as an attorney, I would think you'd be good at researching obscure information!! (Unless you just have your assistant(s) do it!!
Why would you assume that I'm any more competent at being an attorney than I am at being a tractor mechanic? :o) By the way, you're turning out to be one heck of a research assistant yourself. If you can make a good cup of coffee and schedule tee times, I might have an opening if you're interested. :D Seriously, though, thanks for all your help Dan. I truly appreciate it.

quote:
Originally posted by huffy
quote:
as an attorney, I would think you'd be good at researching obscure information!! (Unless you just have your assistant(s) do it!!
Why would you assume that I'm any more competent at being an attorney than I am at being a tractor mechanic? :o) By the way, you're turning out to be one heck of a research assistant yourself. If you can make a good cup of coffee and schedule tee times, I might have an opening if you're interested. :D Seriously, though, thanks for all your help Dan. I truly appreciate it.
:DLMAO:D huffy, thx for asking embarrassing questions - it saves me the trouble - and the embarrassment. overview - I notice this in a lot of places, where I want to learn but I feel like I am supposed to know already - and so I can't learn cos I don't know, and can't ask - effectively impaired, and lacking authority to do anything about it = WOW - just another example of my pet expression = "welcome to the insane world". yeh, I know, it's pretty personal, huh. B) No wonder I'm crazy. :D and maybe a little paranoid 8) and generally exhibiting neurotic tendencies :O - it is literally endlessly endless, and the problem is just beginning - but that's like inciting a riot. heh heh - anybody wanna play fair? whooooh. 8D{}sm00

Also, huffy, I have a background in golf course turf management, I make good coffee, and can book tee times - but I want in on the golf part. If that suits your plans, I'm in. dOd But more on topic - o really? - thanks to Ray for directly and unassumingly providing the desired info (at least, it's what I needed to see). I still have to figure out what an "armature" is. To me, it seems the word should begin with "you". sm03 I recently dredged the net to find a repair manual for my Briggs on my Pacer mower. That was totally weird. They disco'd the original manual, came up with a new "part number" for it. In the course of the search I discovered my Intek engine, which I thought was a low grade cheepee, is classified with and uses same manual as a Vanguard, which I used to think was The Motor until I saw a herd of bent push rods being pulled out of a few of them. Anyway I got a manual, for my strange engine, which has a bizarre code number, 280000 series, but gets heaped into the same manual as a zillion other engines, made since the last couple of decades, or like that. My engine is a specialized application, the shroud has a herd of bells and whistles on it that I don't even know what they are, and hesitate to remove, cos I might never get it back together omg. And the manual has absolutely nothing about any of that stuff, that I can see, so far. Perhaps your new assistant can help me too. :D:D:D But I find the manual to be too generic for this nooby - so far. That 'recovery vehicles' site is fascinating, tons of info; but I get a strong sense that it's a quick ref for people who already know wassup. Is it a military site? or is the info like older military information? Seems like that to me. It brought back memories of Battlefield; I kept thinking I was behind enemy lines and had to salvage a ride back somehow. recovery of damaged equipment kinda thing. Makes sense to me. Great site tho; just that the info comes hard and fast; this is the way it is. zap. done. next. like a quick reference manual. I think I just need to get into it more and try some stuff; I'm getting closer to that, starting with small easy things. Rebuilding a motor? maybe later. sm01 Keep asking questions. It helps me. dOd Last I checked, we were all in this together. omg another short novel.