Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric PTO Clutch gap loosens

bnolte

When I first got my Landlord DLX I had to adjust the gap on the electric PTO clutch to get it to work reliably. All was good until I was finishing up mowing and the PTO started to act up again. To make a short story shorter, the gap opened up again, and I had to readjust the clutch. I am thinking of using Loctite to keep the nuts from backing off again the next time I need to do this. Has anyone else had this issue?

they generally are nylock nuts, but even those wear out and can and will vibrate loose. ;) I would either find new nylock nuts or use a jam nut to be sure.

I was up and about quite early this morning, and out in the garage by 7 AM. One of the things on my to do list I had been putting off because of the heat was to put the motorcycle back together after replacing the battery and evaluating a small coolant leak, the other was to obtain new locknuts for the electric PTO before mowing the lawn. The grass was too wet to mow, and it would be for the next couple of hours, so I put the bike back together. After deciding that the coolant leak was too small to worry about, and for the first time since a bad car accident last spring, I headed up to the local hardware store up in Hampstead on 2 wheels instead of 4. The bike ran good after blowing out the cobwebs on the bypass, and the hardware store had the nylock nuts for 23 cents each so I got an extra set, along with a new set of feeler gauges. I installed them when I got home, with a drop of Loctite on each thread, and after a break I tackled the lawn. Hopefully this is the last word on this. All in all, a pretty good day so far.