Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller to Thatcher

Johnrenk

Could not remove the tiller hubs, this is what I came up with for the retrofit. Spacers made from black pipe, bushing are half inch nuts, 7/16 all thread rod that runs the length of the tiller each side. Tines for a wind row hay rack. A great fun project. First picture starts Cutting spacers to fit between hubs, drilling a hole to later plug weld the bushings, bushing pressed into the pipe.

Next picture showing the bushing plug welded into the each ends of the pipe. If welded on the ends the weld would interfere with bushing length and hinder keeping square on the hubs.

Next is the placement of the tines evenly spaced so each tine is in the middle of the next. 2 clips on each shaft to hold the unsupported tine keeping it from bouncing around, in-between tines are supported by the hub that keeps the tine from rotating.

If you have any questions johner44@msn.com Finished product, Tested tonight and all parts stayed tight and in line. The fine adjustment holes in the lifting lever must be used so the tines just graze the ground and pick up the dead under growth. A bar on the pipe ends keep the bars straight and solid.

^

Very cool! I would guess you have to keep your ground speed on the slow side, since the rotation of the tiller is with the movement of the tractor, similar to when tilling? I'd love to see it in action!

Yes the ground speed is the same as tiller speed, used first gear 3/4 throttle. One thing forgot to mention the tines were cut by one inch for clearance. I don't think the site allows motion pictures. Test patch was a good size, went quicker than expected. Will finish the other 1/2 acre in a couple days.

Just upload a video to YouTube, and link to it from here, as I did in my forum topic. Wayne

John, You're giving me ideas for recycling my old 32" tiller, when I get ready to put it back together (winter project?). Wayne

Do you think you may need some kind of wheel/s on it to support it so it can float? Up and down hills may give you headaches with too much / no contact with the ground?

• 2 weeks later...

I have thought about wheels they may jump to much for them, it does work well, an improvement would be to add two more rows of springs on each side for a more professional job. For the video I lack a video camera, the picture above shows the out come. With out the shield the thatch will fly 6 to 8 feet in the air and land on your head neck and back if all connected together. Thanks for the additional ideas and the comments. Cost was around $60 for material. Might try spreading grass seed than thatch again and hope enough dirt will cover the seed.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Darl Swartz
    • a_sannine
    • Snojetter
    • GregB
    • mbsengineer
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts