Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Peerless Transaxle Question..........

LesH

I have a garden tractor with the Peerless 4 speed + rev., it is on one of those "other" tractors. Does anyone have any experience with these transmissions??? I have the manual on it and learned a lot on the assembly, but it gets into the specifics on assembly and disassembly. Anyway, I have a rear mounted tiller and use it on an established garden. The problem is when I shift from reverse to gear 1 (granny low) it is difficult to physically move the shift lever (the tiller is not rotating or ground engaged at that time). 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th shift easily. I had the transmission apart and replaced the detent springs and balls and checked the bearings and gears and did not see any obvious wear or looseness. Any ideas or experiences??? Thanks.

No tilling experience, but have a 5 speed + reverse in my 5200. If you can clutch and find neutral before changing gears, might help. Think the torque might catch something in the transmission and not allow 1st to ??? easy. Just thinking......

I have a 4212 with the peerless transaxle, and constantly have difficulty with the shift between 1st, neutral, and reverse. Specially neutral and reverse. I have a quirky feeling that the peerless was used commonly on the "crapsman" products, my neighbor has one of those "red things" and his transaxle is locked up after being towed/pushed..sm02 Wayne