Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery cable gauge

huffy

I'm having trouble finding a red 6 gauge battery cable here in town. Everywhere carries only black, but I want to use red for the positive side. One place does have a 4 gauge. Could I use that, or will using the bigger wire cause a problem? I'm hoping to finish installing the motor and start it up for the first time tomorrow.

I don't see why the heavier gauge wire would causing any problems. Yes the wire will be harder to bend, but you should be able to get it to fit. Rick.........

I'm sure it'll fit with no problem, I just don't know enough about electrical to know whether the heavier gauge will affect the system's operation by causing too much current flow resistance.

quote:
I just don't know enough about electrical to know whether the heavier gauge will affect the system's operation by causing too much current flow resistance.
Actually, just the opposite. The 4 gauge will work great.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
quote:
I just don't know enough about electrical to know whether the heavier gauge will affect the system's operation by causing too much current flow resistance.
Actually, just the opposite. The 4 gauge will work great.
Agree. The smaller that number, the less the resistance - meaning you will get all of your battery power. I use long extension cords for hedge pruning, etc. Typical cheap cords are like 18gauge - and cause line drop - running tools at slower speed with more burnout heat. Cords I use are 12guage, 2x50', it's like plugging direct to the wall plug. The cord resembles a garden hose. I would like "designer cables" for my batt also - one's I have are good but getting old - and I have to think about it every time I do battery service. I didn't know they used 6 or 8. thx for that. sm01

Chris, The lower the gauge # the less resistance...EG 2AWG is lower resistance than 4AWG, etc. What length and what kind od connectors? Check your email, If I were as close as you are to "cold start", I'd be impatient also!^ Wayne

The difference in resistance of the wire gauge is negligible. #4 wire will handle more current than a #6 wire. Going bigger in wire size is ok, going smaller would not be.

With booster cables you will notice a difference. I suppose batt cables are short, maybe no biggy. Tim is correct, I'm no expert; so it's probably more about actual current at the business end. Like I said, it's like plugging into the wall plug with a good extension cord; and probably all properties are identical too. (or so I think of it). People call it "line drop"; probably just a folklore term; but those are the guys who work with power tools far from source. Methinks 6-8 gauge would do nicely with a battery; but clean terminals might be even more important. Just my take on it. I don't know much. I still want designer cables. sm01 Tim could probably run circles around all of us. dOd

quote:
Tim could probably run circles around all of us. dOd
You've got to love the irony . . . the king of the slow tractor race being able to run circles around you. :)

V=IxR, P(power)=I squared x R; P= V squared divided by R. Just the laws of physics as we know it in the Universe. Probably something Albert Einstein learned/knew about when he was 5 years old. (LOL) Tom (PK)

Tom, One of my EE prof's liked to remind us that Ohm's Law (V = I x R) was only a useful approximation at low frequency.

Brett, LOL:D When is comes to wiring/battery cable size bigger is better. The exception is for a "fusable link" a common practice used by automotive manufacturers back in the day. A smaller gauge short wire was was put the circuit designed to overheat/burn up to protect the rest of the cable run in case of an extreme over-current fault condition. Tom (PK)

Hey, should we be concerned with what direction the electricity flows? Isn't it possible to install the cable backwards and that would prevent the electricty from flowing out of the battery? sm06 Rick........ Just teasing it does not matter

Darn. Now I gotta go check all the wires to make sure they're not on backwards. Why the heck didn't someone tell me that before? Are you guys screwing with the green horn? I sure didn't see any arrows on any of the wires . . . . LOL Seriously, though, about done wiring her up. Will be firing her up soon - I hope.

Chris you need to remove the insulation from the wires to see the arrows. Would we screw with a green horn? Can't / won't answer that. Good job on getting it all wired up. Hope it starts on the first try. Rick.......

huffy just bypass everything and transcend reality - go wireless. :D then you can multitask - surf while doing seat time, and post more ironic threads, while enjoying a cold one. the bit about screwing w the green guy is called 'proactive' - never trust anyone who uses that invented word, cos you could be next. (and I never said that) i still want 'designer cables' 8D btw my boy tractor will be all excited if i tell him your tractor is a girl tractor. The question is how do you know yours is a girl ? You aren't building a 'trailer queen', are you? :D I think i will keep this a secret - except he's telepathic. 8) please advise when you have additional info. sm00

Darn it, Rick, I stripped every bit of wire I had on there and didn't find any arrows. And let me tell you, it was a PITA getting all that insulation back on!. On a serious note, several of you have indicated that going with bigger wire is never a problem. If that is so, why, then, to they make so many different gauges? Why, for instance, have 12, 14, 16, and 18? Why not just have 12 and 16 . . . for for that matter just have 12?

Hi, The gauges are to meet the supply requirements. Going up in size, (down in numbers) is always good. Wire gauge determines the amount of current that can be carried. There are ratings for the current and the length of the wire. For example a 16 ga wire may be correct for an application with a distance of 2 feet, but when it has to carry this much current for say 10 ft, a 14 gauge may be needed. These specs are readily available. Also ohms law E=IR is ALWAYS applicable in DC circuits. The reference to low frequency refers to AC, when inductance gets involved. Al Eden

quote:
Originally posted by huffy [br On a serious note, several of you have indicated that going with bigger wire is never a problem. If that is so, why, then, to they make so many different gauges? Why, for instance, have 12, 14, 16, and 18? Why not just have 12 and 16 . . . for for that matter just have 12?
For the same reason that they make Rolls Royce, Mercedes, Cadillac, Chevrolet and Hyundai. They could just make Rolls Royce, but it's too expensive and too much car for most people. Likewise, if 18 gauge wire is heavy enough for the required load, then there is no reason to spend extra money for heavier wire. On one car or tractor, the cost savings wouldn't be very much. But $10 for each of 500,000 units...you get the picture. Would be very expensive to run 8 gauge wire all over your house when 12 or 14 is enough!

How about a simple solution, buy the black one and a small roll of red tape :D A little wrapping, either just the ends near the connector, or the whole thing. Sort of how they used to wrap wiring harness's.