Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
fomoco390

decals

fomoco390
I am currently restoring an Allis 716H (4-headlight model). I really need to paint the hood, but I don't want to sacrifice the decals unless I can get some replacements. Does anyone know a source for these, and have you used them for this model (or similar) tractor? I would love to have an entire kit, but what is really important to me now is the hood and instrument panel decals. Thanks! James

PeppyDan
Hi James, If you can't find any decals,you could use a blow dryer to slowly heat the adhesive and remove/reuse your decals if they are in good condition. The decals will usually come off in tack, but you MUST BE VERY PATIENT and very careful not to stretch or tear the decal. You should have better luck with the hood decals than what you will with the instrument panel decals. Good luck on finding new ones as this would be much easier! PeppyDan

jlasater
I bet you could have the decals airbrushed and they'd look very close to decals, not to mention you could put another clear coat over the whole thing and protect everything nicely.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

JDSnyder
You can have almost any decal recreated if you have something to go from, like your old decals. I did so just from the sales literature posted on this site for my Landlord. The issue is the cost which depends a lot on the necessary artwork and layout required. There is a club member named "Uncle Bob" who does this work as well as the source I used: www.nationalreaderboard.com. 1-800-243-6676. You can search discussion for "decals" and find a lot more info on this topic.

MPH
As I didn't know of this site yet when I redid my B112 I taped over my decals before I wired it down to bare metal and repainted it. Decals are still in the same condition as when I started, not bad, daon;t match the new paint but Much better than no decals...MPH

Ben_H
Ask any auto body places if they have a heat gun and if they could take the decals off for you. If this is not and option go to a local craft store and ask them if they have a embossing heat This is much like a hair dryer but it gets much hotter and helps ease the tention from the glue. I have done this twice to two diffrent tractors and it turns out nice. While your at the craft store ask them if they have KRYLON SPRAY ADHESIVE All-Pupose #7010. This is what i use and it sticks the deacals down nicly.