Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cultivating the sweet corn updated 8/5/12

Mack

Lookin a lot better now! My cultivator is probably in the top 3 of my most used attachments.

Looks good Mack! Is that some of the corn planted with your Brinley one row planter that you purchased at Portland? Dan

Sorry I left out the commentary with the pictures. Sometimes its better just to get the pics on first and not have a fat finger moment and loose everything. :I So, ran through this in first gear just a fuzz above idle and it did a very nice job! I used this setup last year and was disappointed in the performance and adjustability of it. Turns out the lift rod I was using needed to be two inches longer than what is used with the standard moldboard plow hitch. Thanks Josh, for the measurement. That two inches made a big difference! I was very impressed with it. I think with right hand lift I would use the mid section also. Dan, unfortunately for me, as it was one of the hotter days we had, I planted 24 rows in that back field and 6 rows in the upper with the Earthway planter.;) So all the corn shown is three weeks old yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...
Trying to salvage the sweet corn now. Been too dry and HOT! The corn I have been able to water at home is not too bad.

The big corn field at my buddy's is a little different story. Got a watering wagon set up and will be trying to get some much needed moisture to it using soaker hoses.

Got two 25' soaker hoses and let them set on each row for half an hour. Pulled a lot of weeds and thinned the corn out some. The weather guessers were predicting an inch of rain here this weekend but now they are saying we may not get any at all. I will keep watering this way and hope for some relief soon. The first three pictures below clearly show the stress on the plants.

This end of the plot got some water a few days earlier and looks better.

It has been tough Mack, but your corn at home is looking great...probably has nearly a foot on mine. I like the water wagon, but that makes for some valuable corn after all the extra effort. ;) They called for rain here...and we got it! Only a sprinkle though, for about 45 minutes. First rain I can remember since early summer.

The watering is about to payoff. I found an ear that had been chewed on this morning. Raccoon is the likely suspect so fencing went up today. Hope to have the first ears of the year this weekend! The muskmelon is also coming on nicely. Will be some good summer time dinning.:)

I like your water trailer. It's ambitious for anyone to try and grow anything given the lack of rain and heat we've been having. We finally got a few drops of rain at my house this morning - the first that I can remember in weeks. But, alas, it only lasted a few minutes and did nothing more than tease my poor, dead grass.

Want to keep the coons away? Put a old radio in a bucket turn the volume low and let it play.You should not have any problems with them. Has worked for me for years.The coons will climb the fence if they want it. Bob

quote:
Originally posted by ka9bxg
Want to keep the coons away? Put a old radio in a bucket turn the volume low and let it play.You should not have any problems with them. Has worked for me for years.The coons will climb the fence if they want it. Bob
Here is one of my coon stoppers!:D

After three weeks of soaker hose watering, we got a good inch of rain the other day. Another rain like that next week would go a long way to getting a good harvest.

That sweetcorn patch looks pretty good, and that take a whole lot of work to get there. Great jobdOd

This is a great thread. I've really enjoyed the pictures. Good to see these tractors in use. Boy, you guys in the mid west need some rain.

Started reaping the rewards! Picked 100 ears yesterday and another 40 this afternoon out of the four rows pictured. There are 24 rows in the back plot and hope to start picking out of it next week.

Finally got a couple of inches of much needed rain last night and this morning. Got the wind also though!C Did get 260 ears off today and will likely get at least half that much more in a couple more days. Not bad I guess for the poor growing conditions this year.

Looking good! I expanded my corn plot too. Planted 2 early rows and 8 late rows but only 6 came up. Early corn gave me about 25 ears. This year I have seen examples of every kind of problem, pest, or nutrient deficiency all within a 30x50 plot.

Wow! Looks like a very good harvest. Around here, sweet corn is hard to come by, expensive, and poor, poor quality. The drought has surely begun to manifest itself.

Mack, thanks a bunch for all of the pics. Enjoyed watching from start to end, well maybe not the end since you still have the fun of tilling it all up for the next crop!