Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Woe is me

huffy

Last Sunday I took my boat out of the marina to change the oil and do some other general maintenance. I wasn't going to be using it for a while, and there was some bad weather in this week's forecast, so instead of putting it back in the slip I just left it on the trailer and put it inside the garage at the condo. This morning I got a call that a fire had started in a neighbor's garage, and spread through the hole garage building. It seems that my poor boat got all burned up. wahwahwah

Now that's a real bummer, sorry. Hopefully someone's insurance will replace it. Otherwise, I have one here I'd really like gone. :D:D BIL asked if he could park it here for a couple months....6 years ago. At least he finally has it for sale this year (fingers crossed) ;)

quote:
Originally posted by GLPointon
Call a lawyer
I guess I could call myself. Oh, wait, you meant call a good lawyer. :D It's all insured, so it'll get replaced eventually. I really did love that boat, though.

Unbelieveable Chris! Sorry for the poor luck...it's a hot summer so far too. B)

If it is anything like my boat, u should go thank your neighbor for saving u some money. your net worth just increased

I have a boat, it's called "bust out another thousand", well not really but it always seems that way. Hopefully it did not have any sentimental value. I've had mine for almost 20 years and it's worth more in memories than actual cash value, but even then that's not easily determined as they don't make 'em like that any more! Good luck!

Similar story here, but with a happier ending. Last fall I agreed to buy my Mom's older, but gently used Buick Park Avenue, which she could no longer drive due to her failing health. I determined that my aging Honda was good for another winter, but not much further than that without spending more than it was worth in repairs. My plan was to run the Accord into the ground, then pick the Buick up in the spring, or sooner if the Accord bit the dust prematurely, while the Buick slumbered safely inside their steel garage next to their motor home, or so I thought. A couple of days into the new year I was visiting my brother when my brother got a call from Dad that there had been a fire in the garage, and the Fire Department was still there fighting it. I cut my visit with him short to tend to Mom and Dad. The refrigerator on the motor home had caught fire, luckily Mom had called 911 shortly after the fire started. Nonetheless, the motor home was a total loss and there was extensive smoke damage and some fire damage to the wooden ends of the building. While they couldn't save the motor home, they were able get it and the Buick out of the garage before the heat compromised the structure, and fuel tanks containing several hundred gallons of diesel fuel. The Buick suffered some smoke damage, and some rubbery sealant had dripped down on it from the roof of the garage, but it cleaned up nicely, and I am happily driving it today. Mom and Dad got a fair insurance settlement on the motor home and damage to the garage, but their motor homing days are over.

Speaking of lawyers........ The madam opened the brothel door in Elko County, Nevada, and saw a rather dignified, well-dressed, good-looking man in his late forties or early fifties. 'May I help you, sir?' she asked. 'I want to see Valerie,' the man replied. 'Sir, Valerie is one of our most expensive ladies. Perhaps you would prefer someone else', said the madam. 'No, I must see Valerie,' he replied. Just then, Valerie appeared and announced to the man she charged $10,000 a visit. Without hesitation, the man pulled out ten thousand dollars and gave it to Valerie, and they went upstairs. After an hour, the man calmly left. The next night, the man appeared again, once more demanding to see Valerie. Valerie explained that no one had ever come back two nights in a row as she was so very expensive. There were no discounts and the price was still $10,000. The gentleman did not blink an eye. Again, he pulled out a wad of cash, gave it to Valerie, and they went upstairs...After an hour, he left. The following night the man was there yet again. Everyone was astounded that he had come for a third consecutive night, maybe a record in the history of brothels in Nevada , which date back into the early 1800's. But without hesitation he paid Valerie the ten grand and off they went upstairs. After their session, Valerie said to the man, 'No one has ever been with me three nights in a row. Where are you from?' The man replied, ' Billings, Montana.' 'Really', she said. 'I have family in Billings.' 'I know.' the man said. 'I regret to tell you, but your sister died, and I am her attorney. She asked me to give you your $30,000 inheritance.' The moral of the story is that three things in life are certain: 1. Death 2. Taxes 3. Being "serviced" by a lawyer Hope your boat gets replaced. 8D