Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B12 steering wheel alignment

GLPointon

Is the steering wheel on a B12 keyed to the shaft? I need to know if its not aligned straight does it have to be corrected at the steering gear on can the wheel be moved on the shaft? Hopfully the latter (but I doubt it) I found a B12 and the wheel is rotated 180*...PO said he got it like that sm008 Thanks for any help

Chris, Do you mean the wheel can be removed rotated 180* & re-mounted?
quote:
Originally posted by huffy
It's held in place by a #9 woodruff key (3/16x3/4). Not hard to take off and flip over.

You will have to take off the side covers and get at the steering gears. From there you may have to loosen a gear spin the steering wheel around and then reattach the steering gear. Just going from memory. It isn't to bad of a job.

Greg: Easiest way - take right side plate off. You'll see there's a U shaped bracket welded onto the end of the steering wheel shaft. It fits over a squared steel block, that kind of acts like a universal joint. There's a 1/4" bolt running through the U joint and the square block. Take the bolt out, lift up on the steering wheel and rotate shaft 180 degrees. Drop the shaft back down and put the bolt back through the U bracket and steel block. 10 minute job.

I can't post pics from my phone. But, if you look at the 3rd pic down in my 1st post in my 2012 refurb thread you'll see the U joint I'm talking about.

Got it...Thanks guys for the help. The U-Joint is the quickest way if its 180 degrees off, otherwise I'll need to do it by the gear teeth.
quote:
Originally posted by huffy
I can't post pics from my phone. But, if you look at the 3rd pic down in my 1st post in my 2012 refurb thread you'll see the U joint I'm talking about.

Greg: remember that you can also get a few degrees of adjustment by extending or shortening your drag link. When you say that it's 180 degrees off, my guess is that someone intentionally set it up with the steering wheel backwards (the V toward the hood instead of the driver) either to make the steering wheel a bit closer to them or to make it easier to get the hood on and off. A lot of people do this.