Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Biggest engine that can go in a 728

SimplicitySwede

I made a narrow front on a 728. And not I'm wonder what's the biggest engine I can put in it with out cutting the sheet metal. I'm looking At getting a lx172 Deere with a bad tranny that has a 14 hp Kawasaki and a yard machine with a 14 hp Briggs for 125 for both. I wanna use the Kawasaki for the 728 but wonder what will fit. I'm in Wisconsin now and not home in southern Il to measure and been doin some thinking about it since I had no time ti wrench. Any help would be appreciated.

Most OHV engines won't fit under the stock sheetmetal. The biggest that will fit without sheetmetal modification is a 10 hp briggs ... and even then you must elongate the engine mounting holes to move the engine forward 1/8" so that it clears the fuel tank bulkhead to the rear. The 10 hp B&S had some changes to the carb/air cleaner set-up over the years, but you can usually find a shorter air cleaner cover that will fit under the original hood. Tom

Jared, The Briggs 14HP horizontal shaft engine has an air cleaner, that is somewhat higher (3-7/8") than the air cleaner from the typical 10HP. (3-1/4").. I was told, that I could use the air filter assembly from the 10HP on the 14HP, but "be prepared to readjust the fuel-air mixtures". I've been following the progress of your project on "Show & Tell". Hoping You find that Happy fit,:) Wayne

Brett/others are correct in that there is no major modification needed other than to "bump" out a few of the front grill ribs to accomodate the spark plug clearance (use a CJ-8 shorty plug). I put in a (new at the time) Briggs 10HP engine in my dad's Broadmoor 728 in 1974 and the only other thing modification-wise was cutting about 1" of the hood to clear the air filter. So any Briggs 10-12.5HP vertical should fit without too much hacking. Tom(PK)